BTDT Moms: When do you tell your other kids you're pregnant?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
BTDT Moms: When do you tell your other kids you're pregnant?
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 2:46pm

As the subject suggests, I am curious when other people tell their other kids they're expecting.  I have four other kids and they all really want another baby in the family.  However, last month I had a chemical pregnancy and I told them I was pregnant.  In the end, I chocked it up that I bought a cheap pregnancy test and it was wrong and they were disappointed but I figure it was better than telling them I had an early miscarriage.  So with this one, I am clearly sick and they are suspecting pregnancy but not sure if I want to confirm with them so early.  Plus I'm scared of a repeat miscarriage.  Any thoughts anyone?  Thanks!

iVillage Member

My oldest two are 8 and 10 years old.  I have always told them right from the start.  They had always wanted another sibling, even before I remarried.  Also, my dh's side of the family lives on the same road with us - 3 brothers and his parents (the other is across town but still closeby).  Rather than letting them hear something secondhand, as they go to school with their cousins, I wanted it to come from us.  I agree that it really does depend on your family dynamic and what you're most comfortable with.  I don't hide pregnancies very well (physically) so everyone is told right from the start.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
When I was pregnant with our second DS #1 was really young, so I do not remember when I told him; it probably coincided with him jumping on my belly and having to be told he could not do that anymore. I am NO help!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

We told our DD right away.  The second we found out we were preggers, and the second we found out it was three.  We decided that no matter what happened, we were a team and that some things work out and some don't.  I've had 3 losses, so I completely understand your hesitation.  Warm hugs ...it's not easy.

Wendy

iVillage Member
I'm thinking we will wait until we hear a heartbeat. I had a chemical pregnancy in June and was thankful I hadn't told them yet. It wouldve been too hard on me emotionally to tell them and answer all their questions. Our parents and siblings knew and it was hard enough telling them.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Due to my history (maintaining pg is not my forte), we will wait until completely out of the woods to tell her. I think at 4, she wouldn't understand why mommy keeps losing babies, but I really, really look forward to being able to tell her! She has been obsessed with being a big sister for over a year! It will be thrilling to finally say to her that yes, mommy *does* finally have a baby in her tummy. When she is older, I will definitely share our struggle to become parents.

I have been fantasizing about the day when I can share the news-I tear up when I think about it! :-)

TTC 2 Journey 10 mos ttc naturally with Met (all bfn) June 2010 back on clomid 100mg x 7 days-BFP! M/C August 4 more rounds of clomid (3 w/ IUI) all BFN March clomid plus injectables -BFN April = natural cycle May back to clomid plus injectables