Caffine and Artifical Sweetner

iVillage Member
Caffine and Artifical Sweetner
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 3:12pm

Ok, my OB that I used when I was pregnant with DS told me to avoid all caffine but that artificial sweetner was fine.  What does everyone else do with these two during pregnancy.  I always thought that artificial sweetner was a no no while pregnant but my previous OB said it is fine.  I had it with DS and he is just fine, but who knows.  I no longer trust what my previous OB told me about anything and I've had 3 different docs tell me to get a new OB, and I was glad to do just that, but I don't meet her until later this week.

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 3:40pm
I have also been told to avoid artificial sweeteners, but that caffeine in moderation is OK. I believe it was in the WTE books, I read that the risks didn't really become worrisome until mothers were having 6+ cups of coffee a day.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 9:19am

I read that artificial sweetners were a no no and have avoided them through all of my pregnancies.  My first dr. allowed me to have whatever caffeine I wanted, but I avoided coffee.  With 2 and 3, I used coffee only to relieve my bad headaches.  This pregnancy, I've been drinking 1-2 cups of coffee per day, but it's diluted quite a bit with milk. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:50am
I'm a big soda drinker, and when I got my BFP I cut it out.
That lasted about 2 days before DH shoved a can of coke in my hand and told me for the love of everything holy to have some caffeine. Apparently, I was being cranky. :smileywink:
I limit myself to one can in the morning and one toward late afternoon/evening and drink water the rest of the day. I plan to do my best to avoid artificial sweeteners.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 9:09am

I'm a big soda drinker, though never got into the whole coffee thing.  With DD I continued drinking 1 soda a day (typically a 12oz can, sometimes a 20oz bottle) and she turned out perfectly fine!  With this PG I plan to continue drinking soda in moderation as well.  I'm not one of those people who wants to be put in a bubble for 9 months while pregnant....i still have to live life, just a little more cautiously now :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 10:13pm
Not all artifical sweeteners are bad during pregnancy. I've had gestational diabetes with every pregnnancy just like my mother and grandmother and my ob has always said go with splenda when it comes to the artificial sweeteners and pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 6:58pm
My fertility doc said a small cup of coffee a day is fine. I have already switched to decaf a cpl yrs ago (with some exceptions) when I started my ttc #2 journey. (I miss my caffeine buzz!! Haha)
I personally don't do any artificial sweeteners, but I've heard stevia is the most natural? (no idea if that's true, jut repeating what I heard).
I have cut back on a lot of my sugar the past cpl mos (I have insulin resistance and wanted to lose a few lbs) so I switched to adding agave in a lot of things that need to be sweetened. I found two big bottles (organic, too) from Costco pretty cheap and it's low on the glycemic index, which is what I need.
TTC 2 Journey 10 mos ttc naturally with Met (all bfn) June 2010 back on clomid 100mg x 7 days-BFP! M/C August 4 more rounds of clomid (3 w/ IUI) all BFN March clomid plus injectables -BFN April = natural cycle May back to clomid plus injectables