Clothing size post partum??

iVillage Member
Clothing size post partum??
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 11:14am

I was morbidly obeses when I had my first 2 kids and due to that was back in my regular clothes in under a month after the babies were born.

I know that won't be the case this time!  I have gained 35-40 lbs--- I know many women take years to get back to their pre-pregnancy size--what has your experience been?? I was a size 4 pants/ size 10/12 top pre pregnancy---trying to figure out what size jeans/ shorts I will need after baby and for how long?

Alice

Alice

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 11:43am

First of all, congratulations on your pre-pregnancy weight loss!  That is just terrific, and you must have worked very hard at it!

I found things to be quite different after baby #3.  I had my first at 29yo when I was a skinny-minnie; I gained 25 lbs and was back in my old clothes in 2 months.  I had my second at 32yo; I gained only 20 lbs because baby used up the calories as fast as I could eat them, but my ribs flared out over the baby and never went back in so my shape definitely changed even though my weight was back to 115.  I waited until 37yo to have #3 and then it took a LONG time to lose weight - several months.  I started 10 lbs heavier and gained 25 lbs, and post-partum I only lost 15 of those.  The last 10 just wouldn't budge.  After six weeks I was still a full dress size larger than normal, which was quite depressing.  Basically I sucked it up and bought 6 dresses that I wore to work until I could lose weight.  Dresses can be quite a bit more forgiving than separates and they made me feel pretty while I was still working on losing weight.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-16-2013 - 6:23pm

I am burning calories like crazy by breastfeeding. Due to the c-section and keeping baby Noah in, I jsut started getting out and about this week. It's amazing how tiring a little walking around is. Anyway, I am already within 5 pounds of my prepregnancy weight, but I have to be careful of the incision that is still healing. I carried baby all in front, and my stomach cannot possibly fit back into regular clothes again. I have no idea how long that will take. I feel like I'm back to the first trimester, where maternity clothes were too loose, but prepregnancy clothes were too tight.

BTW, I just joined this group on Facebook called April 2013 Babies!: http://www.facebook.com/groups/364001127010387/   I'm getting really tired of the tech problems here, although I really would like to keep in contact with you all.

winter 2010 siggy