food allergies anyone?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
food allergies anyone?
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 10:00pm

So my last child was born with multiple severe food allergies to egg, wheat, dairy, nuts etc...anyone else have a kid like this?  What are you doing about your diet this pregnancy?  Are you planning on restricting the top allergens out of your diet or eating as normal?  Seems like research is conflicting these days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 11:30am

I've read that it's only necessary to avoid foods that you yourself are allergic to.  And I second being cautious about introducing foods once baby is born.  My ds was exclusively breastfed up until 13 1/2 months old.  I introduced milk as per his pediatrician, and found he had a sensitivity to it.  We switched him over to soy milk and at 19 months, he has been back on whole milk for a month.  He seems to have outgrown the sensitivity.  I really don't think avoiding it now will make much of a difference later.  A lot of it will be trial and error.  Even dd#2 who was diagnosed with having an allergy to peanuts and corn can eat both now.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2012 - 2:08am

I have severe allergies to nuts, chocolate, shellfish, and oral allergies which can include throat swelling and trouble breathing to most fresh fruits and vegis. It def. sucks but I have heard not to restrict allergens during pregnancy so the baby builds up immunity. This seems most likely to me since allergy shots are all based on exposing to doses of the allergens in small amounts over time to make the immune system no longer have trigger to the allergens. It is a terrible situation and sometimes what you eat and do during pregnancy doesn't really make a difference much because it is believed allergens are more or less inherited than created. There is a new study that having pets in the home at a young age, dogs to be specific, show children are healthier and have less allergens. We have Shih Tzus, who knows if it is true or not. But they don't bother my asthma and allergies much.