Hiring a Doula?

iVillage Member
Hiring a Doula?
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 10:25am

Has anyone ever used a Doula orr maybe planning to use one this time?  I'm considering hiring a doula, but I don't know much about it.  Just what I have read on the internet.  I want to try to deliver unmedicated this time.  My DS had some trouble with breathing right after birth and I can't help but think it might have been from an IV pain medication I had.  They said it wouldn't hurt him and would be out of his system before birth, but my labor progressed really fast at the end and he was born quickly.  I just don't want to have to even question it this time.  I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with Doulas.  When do you actually hire one?  Now, more toward the middle to end of pregnancy??

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 8:20pm
Yes! I'm looking to hire a doula too. My cousins mil is a doula and she helped her a lot. I've had good births, but last time the piton was turned up too quickly which caused DS's placenta to detach from uterus causing a quick drop in heart rate. Thankfully he was delivered quickly! So that scared me enough to look into goin natural.
Photobucket