Low HCG? Confused...

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Low HCG? Confused...
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:11am

So I was 4 weeks on the dot Friday and got my HCG drawn. It was 22. Everything I see on the net says the average # for HCG at that many weeks is 21. The nure this am on the phone said it was very low and would probably end in a MC. I got another leverl deawn this morning and my boobs are hurting more and more. Has anyone else had a "low" number? And why would the average be 21 but I am really low? I am so confused and kind of freeking out.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 4:38pm

I agree with the others.  4 weeks is extremely early.  Most women are just getting their BFP's at that time.  Hang in there and don't draw any conclusions until the second draw.  Numbers typically double every 48-72 hours, so you should see progress over the last three days.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:41am
Take a deeeeep breath. I understand why you're freaking out, and I know that it's easier said than done, but try to relax. Stressing yourself out isn't good.

I am a former phlebotomist (blood drawer). HCG levels are fairly ambiguous, especially early on. There are normal guidelines, don't get me wrong, but often time the actual number starting out isn't what is important. What's important is that the levels increase at the expected rate. So today's draw should give you some answers.

Also, don't always listen to the nurse. Heck, don't even listen to the phlebotomist.The doctor is the one that needs to look at your levels and tell you if everything is ok. For all we know, the nurse was only looking at the results and not your whole chart. She may assume that you're 5 or 6 weeks along, saw 21 and said that.

Praying for a sticky baby for you! Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.