Pain Management During Labor

iVillage Member
Pain Management During Labor
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 9:31am

First and foremost, I don't want to turn this into a debate. Everyone's birth is personal to them, and the way they choose to do it is their own.

What pain management techniques are you planning to use at your birth? Breathing, accupuncture, hypnosis, epidural, spinal block, pain killers, or something else?

BTDT moms, what have you used in the past, and what was your experience?

I am researching the medical  options right now. I don't really want an epidural, but I do think I will want some kind of intervention, and I want to be prepared with what options I am and am not okay with.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 2:16pm
Thanks, Wendy!

I agree that planning can only go so far, whatever is going to happen will happen. I know of some people who were absolutely sure that they wanted a natural birth and never researched anything else. So when the time came and they wanted something she didn't know her options.

I will not ask for help with the pain unless I really need it, but if I do I want to be prepared.
Community Leader
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 1:30pm

I had a c-section with both births..  the first one was an emergency c-section after 2 days of labor.  I went in that first morning (after having contractions all night) and handled the contraction pains (every 2 mins) without any pain meds or assistance..  it wasn't too bad for the first 10-12 hours but after a while I was getting tired and needing something.  I ended up having an epidural, which gave me a chance to rest a little.  My second birth was triplets 12 weeks ago and that was definitely a c-section, so there was no choice there.

It's great to have a plan... but be willing to stray from that plan if needed.  I know so many friends and family members who wanted to try natural births, but ended up having epidurals. 

I think you just end up realising that you do what you need to do to be healthy for both you and your LO and make it as pleasant as possible.

Goodluck with whatever you decide :smileyhappy:

Wendy