Question about cost of delivery

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Question about cost of delivery
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 7:36pm

Hello.  I'm wondering, for an uncomplicated vaginal delivery (what I'm hoping for), what can I expect my cost to be?  I have a fairly decent HMO plan.  I realize I should call them and it probably varies but I'm not sure if we're talking $500 or $5000.  Thanks!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2012 - 10:40am

I guess I have good insurance. I had a scheduled C-Section, I had to pay a $500 co-pay and that covered everything, even the babies bills. 

I mean they later tried to bill for having a Surgical House Physician in the room, but I argued that I wasn't told about this before hand, and I had no say over what professionals were there or not so they obviously made that bill go away. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 5:00pm

my Epidural bill alone was 10K, luckily my insurance paid it and I didn't have to.  I didn't realize it would be so much.  I will have to seriously reconsider my birth plan with this one because I have to pay 10% now, and that is $1000.  I don't remember how much the hospital bill was exactly but I'm thinking close to 7k for the delivery and 2 nights in the hospital.  I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery.  Plus on top of that there was the doc bill which was like 1500.  UGHH now I'm freaking out about how much this is going to cost!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 2:55pm

It really does depend on your insurance company and how close you've gotten to your deductible.  With dd#1, I had a natural birth and then she spent a week in the NICU.  The NICU was $2100 (my cost) and the birth was around $800 or so.  I honestly don't remember from dd#2 who was a section ($1800 maybe?).  With ds, another section, it was roughly $1300.  So really, it depends and varies greatly!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-24-2012 - 1:21pm

I had a c-section last nov.. and i think with only using my first inurance it would have been $1500 oop,  so a regular delivery would be cheaper.  I had to stay 3 days when regular delivers only stayed 2 days.  Like you said, your best bet would be to call your insurance company.   The other thing is that you will get billed from several different agencies, the hospital, anesthisa if you get and epidural and who know what else.   There will also be a dr.'s bill for a Dr. to check on baby after he/she is born.   So if you put all that together your probably looking at $2000 to $3000.  

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 8:47pm

I'm trying to recall the cost with DS 3 years ago.  I think it was around 3k.  It was a vaginal birth, but I was induced a month early.  He had to be rehospitalized 2 days after coming home because he was jaundice, but I think the 3k excluded that.