Racing heart & lightheaded?

iVillage Member
Racing heart & lightheaded?
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 4:49pm

Anyone else experience periods of heart-racing/light-headedness? I've had a couple bouts of it today while sitting still... no big exercise, not even walking up a flight of stairs before it happened. I kind of had a feeling in my chest similar to an adrenaline rush when your nervous about going on stage or starting a race -- rapid heart and kind of tightening --  then felt very faint, and got very warm and broke out in a sweat. All symptoms went away after a few minutes of putting my head down and breathing deeply.

I have vague memories of having similar feelings during my first pregnancy -- but that was 12 years ago (OMG - I'm getting old!) -- and I can't recall if it's relatively normal, or something I should call the doc about.

Thanks in advance for any insights. ~M

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-03-2012 - 6:47am
Lately doing physical work makes my heart beat fast. The other day just cleaning got me in the 140's. It was pretty rough. I also get it sometimes when waking up. My blood pressure is low, 90/60 or sometimes 85/54 kind of low. They have a hard time registering it with cuffs so the office does it manually now. It is always low though but something is making my heart freak out once in a while. It is a scary feeling. Could it be iron maybe aka anemia?
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 9:22am
Thanks so much, Ummito5. It makes sense that it was a blood pressure thing... it's good to hear that others are experiencing it too. Take care, M
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 5:01pm

I've experienced this with this pregnancy as well as others especially in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.  To my understanding it has alot to do with blood pressure (ie. maybe yours was too low at the time and eventually readjusted).  If you are really worried, I'd put a call into the doc to be sure.  Hope that feeling doesn't return though.