What does your partner think of the birthing process?

iVillage Member
What does your partner think of the birthing process?
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 2:46pm

I posted on another thread, but it is still lost amongst the others, so reposting. Tongue Out

I am glad I decided to start doing a bit of reading about the birthing process, since i hadn't done much. After reading, reflecting on the experiences of my mother and sister, and talkign to them, I've realized that a lot of their complications were caused by drug interactions. This causes me to believe even more that as natural a birth as possible is the way I should go. Another thing I've been finding out is my husband's thoughts and concerns about the whole birthing process. perhaps it's selfish of me, but i hadn't really even considered too much of what he thought--just that I feel he is emotionally strong enough to support me. But I guess it would help him a lot to know how to support me, and for me to know how he feels about that. So what about you? How are you and your partner preparing for labor and delivery?

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member

My husband was very hands off with my son's birth.  He literally stood in a corner and watched from a distance.  I hope he gets more involved this time, but he refuses to cut the cord.

We found out the our little girl is measuring pretty big right now and I may have to have a c-section if she continues to grow at the same rate.  I'm really scared and disappointed by the thought of a planned c-section.  But DH is all about doing what the doctors suggest and not standing our ground for a vaginal delivery.  We will just have to wait and see how that goes.  I know he just wants what is best for our little girl.  

I'm am hoping he will at least support my decision to have no IV pain meds.  I need him to stand up to the nurses of they try to push them on me, because I will be in no position to fight them.

iVillage Member

This is my 3rd pregnancy--had a birth plan with the first that dh and I worked on together---then developed pre-eclampsia--was in the hospital for a 24 hr urine collection, discharged at night, slept at home and developed symptoms next am and admitted to L&D to be induced the next am---well due to pre-eclampsia I wasn't allowed out of bed (and not a regular bed a L&D narrow cot) and had to lay on my left side exclusively--well that was a Friday and I was in labor till Monday morning when we ended up doing a c-section cause I never progressed beyond 3 or 4cm.  Needless to say my natural delivery plan went out the window somewhere along the way---I was over stimulated, exhausted and needed pain meds to cope--didn't get the epidural until they decided on a c-section but was so HAPPY to have it then!   So my advice is to be flexible!!

DS #2 was an unplanned c-section at 34 weeks when I started to have pre-eclampsia symptoms.

This time my OB isn't considering a VBAC so I will have a c-section at some point.

Alice

iVillage Member

I do plan to be as flexible as needed. I had an appointment on Friday with the alternative doctor, who will be doing my delivery if my doctor isn't available for some reason. He said that both he and my regular doctor are of the same opinion that as natural as possible is best for both the baby and mother. I've heard a lot of stories about nearly-automatic pitocin drips and a lot of monitoring in this hospital, but according to this doctor, these two are more into intermittent monitoring and drugs only if required. He said neither even believes an epidural is necessary unless it is requested, and then it should only be given up to a certain point and as little medication as required to take the edge off. They were thinking possible c-section earlier, because the baby seemed to be big. But then it turned out he appears to be long--not big around--so they are thinking vaginal birth at this point.My next appt in two weeks is with my regular doc, so I will ask him the same questions.

I am open to being flexible, though. Even the most dedicated Lamaze writers seem to be telling stories about their clients who required c-sections and really did need to be open to them for the child's safety. My husband seems to think c-sections are a safer option, but I would rather have a vaginal birth. He said he'd support me as long as the doctors thought it was safe to proceed with a vaginal birth.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Vaginal births are much safer! I would go for it if I could--much shorter recovery time as well!

Alice

iVillage Member
We are both pretty holistic when it comes down to it. I am going with a water labor/natural birth. We have big tubs with jets in the hospital. I will try to go drug free but I know if I have to use drugs to help me out that it will be okay too. I am wanting to cut the cord. He believes it is a bad omen, but I want to do it myself. :)