What a week! I can't believe...

iVillage Member
What a week! I can't believe...
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 2:23am

I have not had the best of weeks this week. My body decided it did not want to adjust to the hip and abdomen movement to accommodate the baby, and I was in incredible pain for a few days. I had a massage and managed to isolate the root of the pain to the sciatic nerve and abdomen. STretching and the massage worked wonders--except in the abdominal area. I tried Tylenol--didn't touch it. I called the OB nurse in massive pain. I tried a warm compress. Nothing. I called back. She said I would have to go to the emergency room. I ended up on Tylenol with codeine. So much for a drug-free as possible pregnancy. I am really concerned about the baby--please pray that there will be no effects! Tomorrow, I'm going to try to use the heating pad, take lukewarm baths in the AM and PM, and get by with regular Tylenol.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 3:10pm

I get that with every pregnancy.  So far, so good with this one but with my last, I was literally bed ridden and could not even turn over without excrutiating pain.  It lasted for about 3 days then the baby shifted.  I hope things get easier for you soon as I know it is extremely difficult to deal with.  I'm not looking forward to those days when they come (hoping they don't) for the sciatic pain.  

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 5:42pm

At 17 weeks with my first baby, I started getting muscle spasms in my abdomen.  It was horrible.  Worst thing was I didn't know what it was and it felt a lot like what I imagined contractions would feel like.  I ended up in the ER where they verified my little one was ok, but refused to help with the pain.  The bnext day my ob sent me to a high risk doc and he was able to tell me exactly what was going on.  Thanksfully it only lasted about 2 days and stopped.  I hope you feel better!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 9:48pm

You mean...this is common around 17-18 weeks???? Why didn't anyone warn me--I haven't run across this in any of the info I've been reading!!!! I figured out it was the related to the hips and abs being pushed around, but I didn't have a clue what to do about it!!!! I also thought I wasn't supposed to take baths during pregnancy (misunderstood that one!) or use heat on my front side (yep, didn't quite get that one straight from the doc, either). Previous owners had installed a spa bathtub, with jets that can be directed for a mild spray at the hips, ankles and lower back. It is heaven! I also am using a heating pad on the lowest setting for the hips, lower back, and sbdomen. It is working wonders, too. Last night, I slept up to two hours at a stretch, then got up, walked around a bit, used the heating pad, and went back to sleep for a little longer. It felt soooo much better than the no sleep I've been getting since Tuesday.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2012 - 10:36pm

To be honest, 17-18 weeks seems a bit early for it because I remember it happening a bit later.  But I'm not sure exactly when it happened in previous pregnancies.  I do remember it happened in each one but don't think it was correlated to a particular stage.  I'm not sure what caused it but I always thought it happened because of the baby laying on a nerve or something like that as it didn't last long (only a few days) but that too long if you ask me.  All of a sudden it went away with each pregnancy and didn't return.  Hugs to you and I hope it passes soon. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-18-2012 - 3:31pm

To clarify, I didn't mean the members of this bord shoudl have warned me; I meant my medical staff, particularly the OB nurse at the hospital, whose job it is to answer questions!!

That being said, Ummi, your symptoms sound very different than mine, so I'm thinking we aren't discussing the same thing. Jennifer, your symptoms sound exactly the same, so I think we may be discussing the same thing. My mom was told by a longtime nurse that I may need to prepare myself for a C-section if my bones don't want to move easily. I said I was fine with whatever, as long as the baby is healthy. I would like to try to get some better sleep, though, and am looking forward to this episode subsiding! It is still definitely there, but has lessened *quite* a bit.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-18-2012 - 3:57pm

Yeah Catherine, I'm talking about sciatica and thought you were too until I reread your post to see that you have abdominal pain too.  So I don't think I'll be of much help.  Hope things continue to ease up for you though.  

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-29-2012 - 11:03am

I wish I could make the pain go away for you but since I can't all I can say is this will pass.   I had this later on on my pregnancy and thankfully it went away about 3 days/nites later.   

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 6:22pm

Pregnancy support and more exercise have provided plenty of relief. It is now completely bearable and not even there most of the time! Thanks for hte encouragement.

winter 2010 siggy