When to show docs your birth plan?

iVillage Member
When to show docs your birth plan?
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 9:12am

Pregnancy brain here is affecting my memory about when I presented my birth plan to my doc with previous births.  I want to make sure my doc is on board so to speak early enough to change if I sense that she is not but it seems still a bit early to be speaking about birth plans.  Anyone have ideas as to when the best time is to whip the birth plan out on them?  I don't want to be changing doctors at 9 months preggo cause she doesn't agree to my birth wishes.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 12:55pm

I would probably ask her when she wants to see it and prep her verbally in advance if there are any things in there that are particularly important to you just in case she says "bring it to me at 34 weeks". 

I had one with my first and my ob kind of glanced over it and went "mmm hmmm". Then in L&D it all went to the side. With #2 I didn't worry about one, but I knew the routine and the center I was delivering in, I also didn't have any particular requests that I thought they would balk - just a healthy mom and healthy baby. :-)

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 3:35pm

Hi Catherine,

Yeah, I was locked out so to speak for a while and then found a way in through a back door...hehe.  But my posts are still showing that I'm a visitor or something.  Oh well!  It's still good to be back either way.  Just gotta be patient while the kinks are worked out a bit.  

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 1:19pm

Hey Ummi! You're back---yeah!!!!!! Were you able to post the past few days at all? Or were you gone, as it appeared on the board?

At any rate, regaring birthing plans, I have no idea when. I would think now is too early, but, yeah, I don't want to be 9 months pregnant and changing docs, either (or even 7 or 8, for that matter).

winter 2010 siggy