I heard the baby's heartbeat on doppler for first time

iVillage Member
I heard the baby's heartbeat on doppler for first time
Wed, 10-17-2012 - 8:20pm

This weeks appointment was very quick but we heard the HB on doppler for the first time we've only seen it prior on ultrasound. He/she was at 150 BPM. Because the Dr is out of town for an early holiday we are going back right before Thanksgiving (yes a 6 week out appointment). I am so nervous over that but they do have oncalls should I have any issues, she said. I bought an Angel Sounds doppler on eBay so I am hoping to continue to hear the heartbeat. I am just nervous with it being November and my whole m/c I guess but I figured an at home doppler will put my mind at ease. In celebration SO took me to the mall and we got a few pairs of stretchier jeans and he got me a winter coat because I am from California so not used to the Washington weather. Then we took the children to the pumpkin patch the next day and let them know since it is past 14 weeks about the new baby and they seem excited and our 6 year old understands slightly since I breed our Shih Tzu once a year that it is like that I have a baby in my stomach like his doggy. Overall its been a good week and then this morning I wake up with a UTI, lol so I am downing cranberry pills and some left over pyrdium to see if I can help cure it. But it was awesome hearing the heartbeat on Monday! SO says its a girl and I say its a boy based off of HB and the food types I eat, lol.

iVillage Member

yeah that's pretty much where we live, were closer to the modesto area though. it does suck for people with asthma around here, glad the move helped you all feel better though :)

iVillage Member
Yep CA, lived there for quite some time in the central valley/Sacramento region and the Napa Valley/SF Bay Area. It is usually warm there it is Indian Summer but 90's into almost November is a bit extreme. It sucks bad for my Asthma which is why we moved. SO has Asthma and he began experiencing emergency room visits including one that resulted in hours worth of back to back treatments to not even get his pulse ox above 94%. So we got out of there. Our son also developed Asthma and was admitted to Mercy for several days. It was just the environment there causing it. When we got here everyone's Asthma has been 10 fold improved. We were on the news on Asthma hell night in the ER where hundreds of patients flooded ERs all with severe breathing problems one night! We had a local cooking show on cable TV there and I did petite runway modeling for some shows, so we did a lot of TV stuff we have yet to get it airing up here because of how dang sick I've been =( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oj48RNI6RM&feature=plcp There's the link to the video we recorded the news when we were on ;) I look like heck after an all night stint from like 10pm til 6am in the hospital with him. He was still puffing albuterol lol before he interviewed. But yeah weather is crazy hot at times! I feel for you! But it is like 50 here today and wont rise above 45 throughout next week, so it is dang cold compared to there I am always freezing! :)
iVillage Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AngelSounds-JPD-100S-3mhz-fetal-prenatal-heart-doppler-w-gel-and-battery-/230733488938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b8c9a32a They are only $30 or less on eBay it doesn't give you the heart rate number but you can hear it you just have to count it for 15 seconds to find the rate and x by 4. You can also plug the audio jack into your computer and record a wav or mp3 of it in a program, like audacity. <3
iVillage Member

congrats on hearing the hb, thats always such a relif and so much fun! im in Ca and totally envious of your winter clothes shopping! it was 91 here yesterday, which is totally out of the norm for this area. im dying for some cold weather here!

iVillage Member

Yay for hearing the HB.  I wanted to rent a doppler for home but my DH said no.  I've had a mc too and I want to hear our little one every day.  Just 4 weeks between appts is horrible.  Can't imagine 6!

iVillage Member

Awww, Katizma, your kids are adorable.  I'm in the throes of a 6 week wait but the light at the end of the tunnel will be my big ultrasound which is supposed to be on Nov 10th.  I'm keeping myself very busy as we are moving and I've got a ton of boxes to unpack.  Hopefully, you can find something to keep yourself busy during the wait too.  I love the idea of a doppler in the meantime.  Peace of mind is worth a thousand bucks!

iVillage Member

YAY on hearing the heartbeat.....that's always the best (next to feeling them move inside you of course!).  That stinks that you have to wait so long for your next appointment, but hopefully you'll get the at home doppler and get some piece of mind during that time.