Positive Quad Screen

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-30-2012
Positive Quad Screen
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 5:03pm


I guess it probably isn't too surprising given that I am 40, but we did get a positive hit on our quad screen last week for Downs. The nurse reported a 1:71 chance. Which given the conditions and the stats (I am a scientist, so I delve into stats), we aren't too worried right now. As I understand it, it is a 1:71 chance for any woman with the same outcome on the quad as me.

Still the news comes with a referral to the high risk doctor, who according to my coworker, is a real joy of a guy with absolutely no bedside manner. At least I know this going in so I don't have high expectations!

We have our ultrasound on Friday, so hoping that comes out well!


iVillage Member
Registered: 04-27-2011
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 11:08am

hope it all turns out fine!

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-11-2012
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 3:41pm

Aww man!  Sorry to hear this but it's good you are remaining positive and not freaking out.  Please do let us know how it turns out with the high risk doc/ ultrasound.  We'll def. be keeping u in our prayers.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 11:52am

Sorry to hear this....but like PP said, at least you are looking for the positive in the situation.  While your chances of having a baby with DS is 1in71, your chances of not are 70in71.  My DH always likes to point that out when I tell him that it's going to rain because the forecast says 30% chance.....he says "hmmmm.....that means 70% it won't".  Anyway, I realize it isn't the same, but if you stress over the "whatif" you won't be able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.


iVillage Member
Registered: 11-12-2012
Tue, 12-04-2012 - 11:20am

I too am sorry to hear this but as you said you know the risk and all I can say is to think positive and see what happens and good luck to you.