WWYD? Big ultrasound scheduling ?

iVillage Member
WWYD? Big ultrasound scheduling ?
Wed, 10-24-2012 - 5:38pm

Hi there ladies.  Quick question for ya...I called my OB office to schedule my big ultrasound and being that I'm super impatient I tried to find the earliest date they would take me.  Well, they agreed to bring me in at 16.5 weeks.  (Very early I know.)  I found out that this big ultrasound is always 4D and being that I've never had one before I did a little googling and saw some videos of other peoples babies that early on 4D ultrasound and the baby looks really creepy.  I know this sounds silly but I'm thinking of what if I have nightmares of this baby or something.  I really really want to know the gender but don't want to have ideas of my baby as Skeletor.  Would you reschedule for a later date if you were me?  We are paying out of pocket for the ultrasound (as we do for all our prenatal) so if they can't get the measurements then it'll have to be a loss as we can't pay for another one.  The other option is to see if my doc will do a gender scan and then we just wait till around 20 weeks like everyone else to do the big ultrasound (but a 4d at 20 weeks still looks scary to me too).  What do you ladies think?

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-25-2012 - 12:22am

I'd say...go with whatever you and DH decide. If you think it would be better to wait, then you should.

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-25-2012 - 12:28am

Argh! Double post!!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-25-2012 - 12:51am

if it were me i would reschedule. it is really imortant for them to be able to see what they need to see. seeing the baby that early wont give you nightmares. ive had 4d gender scans that early and the worst thing was you cant make things out all that well that early. both my boys just looked like cute little aliens that early lol. do you have any ultrasound shops around you. here we have little places in shopping centers where you can get gender ultrasounds cheap. they are trained u/s techs but not supervised by a dr so they cant do more than let you watch baby and tell you gender but it's a lot cheaper than paying for one with your dr and would give you an extra look before the important one. i did it with both my boys since my anatomy scans were so far away. i loved it and having the videos of those is such a great keepsake

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-26-2012 - 10:54am

It's definitely a personal decision, but if it were me I'd wait.  I'd be more worried about them getting the measurements and views of all the vital organs/parts then about knowing the gender 3 1/2 weeks sooner.  I'm extremely impatient too, but I'm not going to do anything different if I know the gender next week or in December so I'm just hanging out until 20 weeks (or there abouts).

As for the baby looking scary - I'm guessing this will happen no matter what "week" you're in.  At 20 weeks they gave us a 3D scan of DD and it was weird.....definitely not my favorite pic.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 4:58pm

Assuming at this point you made a decision. What did you decide to do?

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 3:50pm

Thanks ladies for all your insight.  Well, DH and I discussed it and we decided it's very important to make sure LO is ok (of course) but he couldn't stand me bugging him about the gender for another 3-4 weeks so we'll give it a shot this weekend to do the a/s and if they can't get all the measurements then DH said he'll fork over the cash to do it again at 20 weeks.  We found out it's only about 75 bucks at the doc's too so it's not that bad afterall.  We'll keep you guys posted as to what happens.  My appt is Saturday at 10am.  I am sooo excited!