Baby Gear: New or Used?

iVillage Member
Baby Gear: New or Used?
Tue, 01-14-2014 - 7:24am

We get it. It’s really tempting to take your sister-in-law’s “practically new!” car seat or your neighbor’s “still fine!” crib. Everyone’s trying to spend less these days, especially if there’s a baby on the way. Reality check: some second-hand gear just isn’t worth the risk. The good news? Plenty of it is fine to snag gently used. We sorted out the options based on the latest Consumer Reports and US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) research, and with help from Julie Vallese, the Managing Director of Public and Government Affairs for the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA).

Get it New or Used? Your Guide to Buying Baby Gear

http://www.ivillage.com/baby-gear-you-should-buy-used/6-a-549607

I really love this list!  Are you using any previously loved items for baby?  What used items are you comfortable using?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Tue, 01-14-2014 - 4:29pm

The majority of our stuff came used, with the exception of the crib and the car seats.  What's the point in spending hundreds of extra dollars for things that hardly get worn or used, anyway?  Don't get me wrong, I love buying new things for the baby, but it's just not practical to buy it all off the shelf.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-16-2014 - 4:23pm
This is our first so of course we wanted to buy everything new. Our crib, car seat, stroller, and dresser/changing table are new, everything else we have received has been "gently used" or "hardly used" which if it looked destroyed or if we didn't like it we have taken it to the DI, no one cares it would have gone there anyways :). And we have yet to have our baby shower so I'm sure everything there will be new :) why wrap a gently used item and claim it's "new" ? kinda funny hehe

Shana
Wife to Diego
Mommy to Luna and Panda - Furrybabies
Soon to be mommy to Xavi - Due April 27, 2014

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-21-2014 - 7:46am
Rhae, I'm curious- did you find that you bought more new things for your first?

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Tue, 01-21-2014 - 9:00pm

I was given lots of new things, but most of what I obtained myself was used.  I took a lot of hand-me-down clothes, especially.  But in terms of things that he had...yeah, he had WAY more new stuff than either of the other two boys.  Tons of new clothes (all for the first six months, of course), new play pen, new travel system, new blankets, new size 0 cowboy boots.  It was a little ridiculous, actually.