Maternity Leave

iVillage Member
Maternity Leave
Mon, 12-16-2013 - 2:39am

"In the United States, most working women are back to work soon after giving birth, with the majority not taking more than three months of leave," study leader Dr. Rada Dagher said in a university news release.

"But our study showed that women who return to work sooner than six months after childbirth have an increased risk of postpartum depressive symptoms," added Dagher, an assistant professor of health services administration at the School of Public Health.

In the year after giving birth, about 13 percent of mothers experience postpartum depression, which can cause serious symptoms similar to clinical depression.

This study included more than 800 women in Minnesota who were followed for a year after they gave birth. About 7 percent of the mothers went back to work within six weeks, 46 percent by 12 weeks, and 87 percent by six months.

Women who were still on maternity leave at each of those time points had lower postpartum depression scores than those who had returned to work, according to the findings published online Dec. 4 in the Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law.

Can Having a Longer Maternity Leave Prevent Postpartum Depression?

(Health Day)

http://www.ivillage.com/could-longer-maternity-leave-prevent-postpartum-depression/6-a-555357

How long will your maternity leave be?  Do you feel like it will be long enough or do you wish you could take longer?  

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Mon, 12-16-2013 - 5:33am

I'm a SAHM so there's no maternity leave for me (my bosses are jerks! ;) ) but in Canada it's a year paid at 60%.  I know in Finland it's a year of paid leave plus unpaid leave until the child turns 3.  The US is SO far behind; when my mum had my brother thirty years ago, she got 6 months paid leave.  What does that say about the deal you guys get?

As to whether a longer maternity leave can prevent postpartum depression and anxiety, no, I don't think so (for instance, I had tons of time and ended up with postpartum depression after #1 and postpartum psychosis after #2); but I think returning to work too early can precipitate PPDA.  I think when we return to work too early ('too early' being subjective) what we would have experienced with the time we needed to emotionally recover from pregnancy and early parenthood is worsened.  Does that make any sense?