Nuchal Translucency Test

iVillage Member
Nuchal Translucency Test
Thu, 09-12-2013 - 11:34am

Nuchal Translucency Test

Around 11-13 weeks of the pregnancy a screening for Down’s syndrome is usually offered to all pregnant women. The test is known as the “first trimester screen” or nuchal translucency test.

This test consists of two parts:

• An ultrasound to measure the thickness of the back of the fetus’ neck and
  • A blood test that detects the presence of 2 markers in a blood sample in conjunction wit blood tests that measure levels of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and a hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).

These three tests are then combined to calculate the risks of having a fetus with a chromosomal anomaly.  Abnormal levels of PAPP-A and HCG or an abnormally thick neck may indicate a problem with the baby. If the test shows an increased risk, additional tests such as CVS (chorionic villi sampling) or amniocentesis can be done to confirm a diagnosis.

The current nuchal screening test has a false positive rate (that is, the results suggest a problem when the fetus is in fact healthy) of around 3-4%.

This means many women have invasive testing, using chorionic villus sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis. Both of these procedures carry a less than 1 in 2-500 risk of causing a miscarriage.

Read more here- https://www.rosiepope.com/blog/prenatal-test/

Are you planning to have the NT test done??  

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-12-2013 - 2:33pm
Yep. I plan to have the NT scan done for sure. I figure the more information I have about baby before he/she is born, the better. :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-12-2013 - 5:37pm
Mine is October 7th... only doing it to see the baby though! :P I need a good nub shot!

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

Community Leader
Tue, 09-24-2013 - 12:29pm

The standard of care here is that the NT is only offered to women of advanced maternal age or with other risk factors for Down's.  I wouldn't be doing it, anyway; but I do have another u/s scheduled for 2 August, which is around the same time as the NT would be done, so I'll still get that 'visit' with Baby!