Elena Christina has arrived (dramatic birth story)!

iVillage Member
Elena Christina has arrived (dramatic birth story)!
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 3:47pm

Hello Ladies,

My little Ellie was born on August 6th at 1:02 p.m.  I am sorry for the overdue announcement, but it has been quite a week!

Sunday afternoon I went into early labor.  I had been feeling a dampness since that morning and we were concerned that my water may have broken, so we went to the hospital.  I was especially alarmed because earlier that week my fluid levels had been measuring low.

At the hospital it was determined that my bag of waters WAS intact, but they admitted me for observation anyway because my fluid was still low and the baby's heart rate kept dipping below 90 every time I had a contraction. At this point, the contractions were irregular, generally between 8 and 15 minutes apart and they were only lasting about 30 seconds.  I was only 1 cm dilated.

In the morning, after a  long sleepless night hooked up to monitors, the contractions still weren't speeding up and I was only 3 cm dilated.  It was decided that I should be induced with pitocin, because the baby's heart rate was still dipping.  They believed that my contractions were putting to much pressure on her umbilical cord and wanted to get her out asap.

Pitocin was administered, the contractions intensified and I received an epidural when I was 5 cm dilated.  As the contractions became longer and more frequent, the baby's heart rate continued to drop for longer and more frequent periods of time.  At about noon it was decided the safest course of action was a C section.

Ellie was born at 1:02 p.m.  She is perfectly healthy and had an APGAR score of 9, but she is rather thin.  Only 5 pounds, 8.5 ounces at birth and 20 inches long.  Evidently, she had a very small umbilical cord that was missing its outer sheath.  The sheath is supposed to protect the cord, which explains why my contractions were able to put so much pressure on it.  Also, the small cord probably limited the amount of nourishment she was able to get, which explains why she is so thin. 

The whole ordeal was obviously terrifying and emotional.  DH was a rock and stayed calm for me the entire time (although I know he was a wreck on the inside). I'm just so grateful she is okay.  Oddly, I had a completely uncomplicated pregnancy up until the 38th week when the fluid issues arose.  In all I gained a healthy 35 lbs and never expected an emergency C section.

Ellie is just a little angel and DH and I are out of our minds in love with her!  I'm healing well, my milk has come in and I am determined to fatten this child up!  Attached is a photo DH took at the hospital when Ellie was 2 days old. I'll post more photos soon. I hope all goes well for the ladies still waiting to deliver.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Oh my, what a story. I am so glad she is okay. I hope you are healing well! Congratulations!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Congratulations!  Glad all was fine in the end.  I went through a similar experience w/ my first - not dialating fast enough and her heartrate dropping w/ every contraction - so I know how scary that is!  But she's here - and small but beautiful and perfect!!  And what a completely great pic!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Congratulations on your daughter! She's beautiful. I love the picture of her, she looks like she's smiling and posing already.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Wow, what a great photo!! She looks like she's posing already! So cute, congratulations!! Glad you're both OK and doing well now!!

iVillage Member
Thanks! DH is a very patient man. He was determined to get a pic with her eyes open.
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
How on earth did you get such an awesome picture of a 2 day old baby!?!?! She is beautiful! I'm sorry your birth experience was traumatic. I'm glad baby Ellie is okay. She is a little doll. Congrats!!!!!!!!

Photobucket