Hello Joshua Patrick!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Hello Joshua Patrick!
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 6:02pm

Sorry to keep you hanging! It's been SOOOOO busy. Here is the birth story hastily written.

Well, that was exciting. Joshua Patrick Walterbach was born at 11:16 Saturday night. 7 lbs, 15 oz... 21 inches long.

Honestly, I will admit I was dealing with some sadness most of the day, because I had just wanted to wait to see when my body went into labor. As I think I said in my previous post, I'd had some trickling feelings while sleeping the last few nights and I had actually been concerned about a decrease in movement - that spurred me on to go to the doctor right after work on Saturday morning. We did the ultrasound and found a significant drop in aminotic fluid levels compared to two weeks ago. Doc felt that since we were at 39 weeks, he just felt best about going ahead and starting labor, in case the lack of fluid was due to the placenta not working as well or a high leak. And this really bummed me out. 

But I powered through, started the pitocin to get contractions moving (was only at 2 to 3 cm when I arrived) and my water broke just after 6 PM. Once that happened, contractions came fast and furious. Owwwww. I had the epidural put in about an hour and a half later and was able to get some sleep (had been up since 3 AM for work). At my 9:45 check I was 5 cm... at 10:45, I was 10 cm. Wowsers. From there, things went quickly. Did a practice push... Nurse told me to hold my horses because he was going to slip right out. She called the doctor and birthing team and at 11:10 we started pushing and he was born at 11:16... three pushes later. 

He is healthy and looks good. Very sleepy. We did discover he has a condition called hypospadius. Nathan was also born with this condition. I prayed and prayed it would not happen again and doctors even told me it was unlikely it would. Hypospadius is where the urethral opening is in the wrong location on the penis. Instead of being on the tip, it is just on the underside. There are different levels of severity, mild to severe (where opening is on the baby's body almost like a female urthral opening. I don't know the severity of Joshua's yet, but hoping it's mild like Nathan's was. It looks to be that way as he appears to look to me the same as Nathan. This can be corrected with surgery at the age of 1. I should be thankful and pray that this is the only concern.

I will try to post a picture as soon as I get a chance! Dinner is on the way, nursing... and then more visitors!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:23am
Aww, I am so happy things went well for you and his birth was healthy and peaceful! Hoping his hypospadius is mild. My husband had (has?) that too.

Welcome earth-side, Joshua!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:50am
Keeping it clean (unless your going to circ him) is easy, wash off the outside like you would a finger or toe :smileyhappy: You don't want to try to pull back the foreskin on intact newborns, as most actually don't pull back until puberty. If he's going to be circ'd, I don't know, but I'd think after it heals it would be just like a finger or toe.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:26am

Congrats Megan! :smileylol:

I'm sorry your experience wasn't what you had imagined, but it's all over now and you have Joshua all ready to be cuddled.

The penis worries me - I'm excited to have a little boy, but I've hear so many baby penis horror stories and things that can go wrong... I don't know how to clean it and all that maintenance stuff either. But if the doctors aren't too worried about Joshua's weenie, give it time - it might end up being something minor or not serious at all.

I mentioned somewhere before that my Julia had an extra butthole. They were worried if the hole went all the way into the body, reaching the spine, in which case she wouldn't be able to walk. Turned out to be just a deep dimple, which filled out with fat eventually over time.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 8:08am

Congratulations on little baby Joshua!! 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 1:48am
Congratulations Megan!!! Glad everything went well!! Enjoy your new boy!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 8:25pm
Congratulations on little Joshua! :-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 8:21pm

CONGRATS!  I'm gald everything went well.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 7:56pm

Congratulations Megan! Looking forward to pictures of your little guy! I'm feeling the pressure since we have (had) the same due date!!!