John Joseph is home!

iVillage Member
John Joseph is home!
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 4:19pm

Thanks for all the prayers and good vibes.  Hopefully the pictures will show up as they are supposed to:smileyhappy:

July 13th 9:19 AM, 5lbs 2 oz, 18 inches.  Both surgeons joked my spinal is probably the most difficult part of getting my c section.  HA, I wish:smileyvery-happy:  As soon as they were able to take a peek they realized things were not quite what they expected.  He had moved my kidney and they had to reattach it, had "windows" that were opening within my uterus, and the placenta was in a very poor location (sitting partially on scar tissue they didn't realize before).  My spinal quit relatively quickly--and I don't remember him being born.:smileyfrustrated:  But my husband did get to hold him for a few minutes before they rushed him off to the NICU. I was given several different things to support my spinal and remember little else until they were telling me surgery was over and I was back in my room.  Because I had a stillborn son previously, I woke up thinking he was gone and no one was telling me.  I was at a hospital that ^should^ have been able to take care of him as long as he only needed minimal care, but was in that less than one percent at 37 weeks that needs more care than they can give.  He needed a vent, and a level III nursery.  They brought him in ready for transport and I was finally able to see him and touch his hand for a moment.  The team was great and helped me get transfered to be with him.  I remember only bits and pieces about the day.  

He was on a vent and I was able to see him almost any time I wanted.  I started pumping so when he was ready to eat, I had something to give him--gave me something to focus on that I could do instead of just worry.  He was weaned from vent to CPAP full mask, then partial, then briefly nasal air before he was able to breath on his on.  He was fed by feeding support for the first week and then weaned to nurse until the tube was finally removed altogether.  He had to pass a carseat test without having difficulty breathing--that took us two attempts.  He went under the lights to treat his jaundice--super system he was first in the NICU to use that uses both a fiber optic blanket below and LED lights above him.  Took his numbers from 18 to 6 in one day.  SUPER. 

Was ready to come home a few days ago but I had a few set backs of my own.  But now finally--HOME!  I have at least one more surgery coming in the future, but I have no regrets.  He's beautiful and I am blessed.  His Dad got to hold him and see his son born. 

I never left the hospital until we could leave together.  I ruffled a few feathers over that one:smileyvery-happy:  But he is alive.  Thriving--and nestled gently in a cradle beside his sleeping Daddy.  

I appreciate all the help and  prayers.  It was a very difficult time for us, but now, we couldn't be happier!  I hope your labors and deliveries are everything you hope for and I can't wait to see more of the August babies born!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 7:14pm
He is BEAUTIFUL!!! Praise the Lord that you both are okay. We've been praying and thinking about you and baby John. He is lovely, I'm so glad you guys are okay.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 12:00am

So happy for you and your family!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 9:02am

Thank you all so much for the support and prayers.  I am SOOO happy having him home.  I feel SOOO much better not being pregnant.  My staples are out and I am feeling a lot better.  I can't wait for more August babies!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 12:17pm
I am so overwhelmed reading your story, both with worry and then relief, and finally, such sweet happiness that John could hold his son. That JJ is in your home. I am so happy for you, Julia! It's been a crazy year, and an even crazier last few months, and this is just such a beautiful blessing. So proud of your strength and outlook!! That's my girl!!!!!!

Now I'm going to go look at the pictures. I needed to regroup first.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 12:19pm
Omg!! He is so so cute! He looks awesome, healthy, thriving! Seeing him with his daddy....... So much love, lady. xo
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 9:12am

Congratulations, he's a beautiful baby boy!

Last picture under the lamp makes him look uber-cool :smileyhappy:

You have beautiful children, Julia - I'm so happy you're home and enjoying the newest addition to your family. Yay!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 9:19am

Congratulations!  So glad you are both home & doing well after a crazy couple of weeks.  So glad your DH got to be there and that worked out.  Overall, everyone is happy & healthy!  Love the pics - very sweet!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 1:40pm

It feels so much better to have him out!  He's a little peanut--he hasn't made even six pounds yet--still in preemie clothes and preemie diapers..

My staples are out and I'm healing up--  need the second surgery a little sooner than expected but no complaints there.

I can't wait until more babies are born!  Keep checking for updates!