Johnny's birth story

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-08-2009
Johnny's birth story
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 9:40pm

Aug 3, 2012. 

Contractions started on July 31, around 11pm. They continued for over 12 hrs, then tapered off for a few hours. The evening of Aug 1, the same pattern happened: more contractions overnight and into the next day, Aug 2. Towards evening they began to space out a bit, but after a two hour "reprieve," they were back in full swing. I headed to bed around 10pm, hoping to get some rest before things kicked into high gear. Sleeping was difficult. It hurt too much and I couldn't find comfort, relief, and I was beginning to get anxious. I urged Tom to call the midwife around 12:20. She said to have me call when I needed her. So we tried to sleep. I was having a lot of trouble bc of the pain. At 1:55, I called her back, said I was nervous she wouldn't make it, that I felt things were moving closer together, and they were intense. She asked if I really needed her (in which case she would come) or if I just wanted her to come bc I was nervous she wouldn't make it. She assured me she would make it. So we agreed that I would get in the bath and let her know how I felt after. 

I experienced two contractions in the tub before my jaw started shaking. I needed ice water cloths for my head. Tom got that for me, helped me back onto all fours in our bedroom. I tried rocking my hips, leaning on the birthing ball, as we timed contractions for about 20min. They were coming every 1:30 - 2 min apart. I was pacing. I couldn't find my rhythm. It was time. 

At 2:46am, I called our midwife and told her I needed her to come. The contractions were really intense, 1-2 min apart, and I just filled the toilet bowl with blood. She said she would be on her way. I kept gravitating back into the bathroom during my contractions. It was small and confined and quiet, and I think I needed that. I started feeling the baby descend through me. My water burst like a balloon, startling me as I rocked on the toilet, moaning and vocalizing (loudly) through a contraction. 

I have never experienced a labor like this before. Two days of contractions, and then things just got crazy. Nothing gave me relief. I tried all fours, the birth ball, pacing, hip-swaying, bent over, kneeling, the tub... I felt like I might panic. I couldn't find any sense of control over these sensations. Tom gave it to me. His words, his focus. He kept me looking at him, and grounded me with his words, his encouragement, his motivation. 

These words from him armored me enough to keep trying, to concentrate on each contraction as it happened. I continued to find myself heading into the smallest part of our room, as I felt the baby descend, as I felt the thunderous urges to open and bear down. I alternated between squatting while holding onto the bathroom counter, and sitting on the toilet, bearing down with such guttural sounds. My throat is sore from the primal explosions. 

During these pushes, helping baby slide through me, I kept my hand over myself, down below, until finally, one finger found his head, as I felt myself open fully and let him crown. I told Tom "the head is right here." He asked if I wanted to go to the bed; I couldn't leave the safe, enclosed haven of the water closet area of our bathroom (toilet area is separate from rest of bathroom). So I simply stood and squatted, and bore down. Tom helped ease the baby's head out, noticing immediately that the cord was wrapped twice around his neck. I told him not to pull. The baby's shoulders and body slid out easily after that, with one more push, into Tom's hands. He unwrapped the cord, then eased him into my arms and onto my chest. He immediately turned from purple to pink and let out a heart-warming, lung-filling first breath of a cry. We walked into the main part of the bathroom, calling the kids in to meet their brother. Tom set up pillows on the sheet-covered tarp on the floor, and Johnny, his brothers and sister, my Aunt, Tom and I cuddled on the floor, marveling at what had just HAPPENED.  Oh My God!!!! 

It took almost an hour for my midwife to arrive after Johnny was born at 3:29am. Once she arrived, I delivered the placenta, and little Tommy cut the umbilical cord. She checked us both, cleaned up everything, started our wash, made sure I was fed, helped me to the bathroom and congratulated us on what an amazing job we did! 

Johnny weighed in at 7lbs 6oz, 19in, and perfectly pink. During the time we waited for the midwife, we nursed successfully from both sides. Tommy, Jolie and Billy marveled at their new brother. They were absolutely enchanted with him.  Jolie proclaimed that it was "the greatest day ever!"

Our last. Our Quattro. Our Tait Child 4.0. Rocketed his way into our world, into his daddy's strong and loving hands. That was the most intense adventure of my life. 
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-29-2005
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:19pm

Such an AMAZING story! Congratulations and I'm so happy that everything went well!

Avatar for bessie_bee
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-23-2003
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:42pm

Oh my goodness! What an amazing story!! I can't believe the two of you did it on your own without the midwife! That's so inspiring!! What a perfect way to bring your new bundle into your lives!! I love it, I'm teary!! Congratulations!!!!!

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-24-2006
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 11:01pm
What a beautiful birth story! Congrats :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-17-2003
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 2:05am

It sounds like an amazing story. Congratulations! Too bad your midwife didn't make it, but it sounds like you guys did great all on your own.

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-15-2007
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 9:57am
Oh my goodness!!!!!! Way to go mama! An unassisted homebirth?!? You rock. Thanks for the story. You did an awesome job.