Sean Gordon is here and very nearly a completely different birth experience for me

iVillage Member
Sean Gordon is here and very nearly a completely different birth experience for me
Wed, 08-15-2012 - 12:51am

My apologies for the novel, it just wanted to come out :smileyhappy:

So after 3 bouts of false labor, including one on my EDD of the 11th, I doubted my contractions that were happening yet again on Sunday. They were sporadic and irregular, like my false labors. Since I was scheduled to be induced on Monday anyways, I made myself go to bed at 10pm so I could get up at 6. Well, at 11 my sciatic pain woke me up and I kept trying to get back to sleep. Yeah didn't happen. At 2:30 I told DH (who had just gotten to bed at 2) that we were going to the hospital. Called my doula, woke up my mom, felt really lucky that DH's parents decided to keep Quinn an extra day and they took him to daycare Monday. Got to the hospital and dealt with all the checking in shtuff, was grateful that I had my birth preferences, because it answered quite a few of their questions, just not all of them. Discovered I was at 6cm (had been at 3 at my last appointment) and very soft. Got that all done and we were told we were going to rm 227, because it had a private tub. We get over to it and start walking in and I realize that its the SAME room I had Quinn in :smileyhappy: They asked if it was ok and I said "so long as the tv remote works, it didn't last time" so they double checked it for me, lol. Had to do some more monitoring with my nurse and then FINALLY got to get into the tub. RELEIF from the back pain at last. I had constant back labor with Quinn and he had been sunny side up, and here it was happening again. I stayed in the tub until they needed to monitor for a little while again, then we walked a few laps of the hall and I was getting hungry so my nurse got me some Jello :smileyhappy: However, when I got back to the room and had to be monitored again, no more back pain to start with. It started coming back while I was laying there. Leaned over the birth ball for a while too, trying to make him flip and the back pain go away. Then back into the water after the last bout of monitoring. Stayed there until my contractions were about 30 sec or less (it felt like anyway) apart and crazy crazy intense, I was fighting to not want to push. Got out and I'm at an 8. Have to be monitored again, but they are working faster cause very quickly I'm to a 9-9.5. We break my water and OMG I only thought the contractions were intense before. Finally have to start making some noise, so I start humming very very deep. I BEG them to let me push with the next one, but I'm still only at the 9-9.5. Very very unhappy to hear that, but I know that I can do this. I've made it this far and I did it before with Quinn. I force myself to go through 4 more contractions before begging them to check and see if I can push. and HURRAY there is only a small lip left that they can hold out of the way. They let me try a push to check something I guess and I'm so happy. My doc barely has time to get gowned up before my next one comes and I push with all my might. Out he comes, first try and FACE DOWN. Still had all that back pain, but the walking or the ball must have moved him. One more little half push and his shoulders are out too.

8:38am, 8lbs 11oz, 21 in, all natural and he's here. I'm just so happy its over and I get to meet him. And very grateful that I never passed out, as I did repeatedly with Quinn. My night nurse (she came to visit us) was amazed that I had him just a little over an hour after she left. We are BFing, but its not going as great as I'd like. He has a very shallow latch that makes it SUPER painful the whole time almost. And he is very unwilling to latch as well most of the time. I may make an appointment with one of the LC's at the hospital if I can't figure out how to make him open up a little wider for me soon.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Congratulations!  What a beautiful boy!  Glad things went well & you are both doing well.  Good Luck on the BFing...hopefully it will work itself out for you two.  If not, I've had good help from the LCs.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Great job!!!! I swear, your whole labor story sounded exactly like my third labor. I could have written it myself. Crazy! Congrats! He is a sweetie. How is Quinn adjusting to being a big brother?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby boy! He is adorable! Welcome to the world, Sean!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Congratulations!! Yay!!

iVillage Member
Congratulations on baby Sean. He's cute! :-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Right now, Quinn is in 7th heaven with his baby brother. Wanting to help and hold, we get lots of "Its ok baby, its ok" when he's protesting diaper changes or fussing for any reason. Trying to work on curbing the 3yr old enthusiasm while still letting him help as much as he can.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
That's great! Just wait, in two years, they'll be best buddies ganging up on you ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
And in that 2 years, all of their cousins will be Quinn (5), T (4), N (3), J (2), Sean (2), and one more that will be 2 as well. N is the only girl so far out of the cousins (DH's cousins having kids, so their technically second cousins). That's gonna be fun family holiday/get togethers :smileyhappy:
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Congratulations on a fantastic birth experience! An a beautiful baby boy.
Photobucket