3 Month Checkups!

iVillage Member
3 Month Checkups!
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 1:13pm

Post your checkup updates here!

Zoë had hers this morning. No shots (thought she was getting one of her Hep shots, but apparently not). She's healthy, and weighs in at a whopping 18lbs 1 oz -- she's completely off the growth chart percentages. She's 25.25", at 96%.

Doc isn't really concerned, since Will was a big baby at this age and is now in the 13th percentile for weight (he's tall and super thin). But she did suggest that Zo should be sleeping through the night because she's so big, and wants me to let her cry instead of feed her everytime she wakes up (sleeps for 4 hours, then up every 2 until she's up for good at 5:00 or so). We won't be doing that, and I won't be sharing this with hubby because he would do this. First, we all have to get up early every day, and a crying baby isn't going to cut it -- walls are thin. Second, I don't let my wee ones cry. Never have and I'm not going to start with this little girl. She's rotund, but she's still a baby. I don't think she's eating out of boredom, but I do think she loves her milk. I've thought that if anything, maybe I'll just up the water to formula ratio a bit. Nothing drastic, but a bit. And, cereal in the bottle at night, that doesn't cut it -- have tried it a few times. She drinks 7 ounces of that (about 1/4 cup of cereal in her bottle) and still gets up within 4 - 5 hours. So I'm not going to do that at all anymore since 1) it doesn't fill her up and keep her full any more than a straight formula bottle, and 2) cereal has a LOT of calories compared to formula (5 oz formula = 100 cal, where 1/4c rice cereal = 60 cal). She'll be super-huge if it keeps up, and I am not trying to have an obese baby.

She's definitely getting more floor time on her back, and we're trying to do belly time more frequently as well ... hopefully this will help.

But, she's otherwise healthy and doc wasn't surprised a bit that big baby rolls over.

Hope all the other babies are faring well!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-16-2012 - 8:54am

No actual check ups here either, but I wieghed Sean and he's 14.8lbs, so right on with big brother, who was also about 15lbs at this age. Go figure that the night I don't put him into a size 3 for the night, he sleeps from 8:30-6, so he soaked through to his pj's. I think it was the nice warm bath with big brother that wore him out, and the 7oz he drank right after it that helped keep him asleep. Yesterday he finally held himself up during tummy time for about 2 minutes, and was ok with it until he couldn't hold his head up. After he got tired, he despised it. I'm happy about that because I want to install his carseat a little more upright (like 40*) to  give us a little play with the front seat. I think I'll be waiting another month to do it though. Oh, and yes, I know that the manufacturer would tell me no, I can't, but I make the parent decision to install them slightly more upright as my kids get older, it keeps them happier

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 3:35pm

Oh my gosh! Zoe is a doll!! So precious. I love that photo.

I'm guilty of leaving Josh in bed with me after he wakes to nurse in the middle of the night. I just fall asleep with him nursing away and when I do wake up, I'm too lazy to crawl out fo bed and put him back in his crib. I need to keep it up though, because two nights a week I leave for work at 4 AM and I don't want him to become too used to being in bed with mommy... since I'm not in bed through the night a few nights a week!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 1:16pm

Mason is such a doll! We just got an activity bouncy thing like that, Baby Einstein also (but a bit different than yours -- we don't have a frog or whatever that green thing is), and Zo cannot quite touch the floor even on the lowest setting just yet (very close, another inch maybe?), and cannot sit up on her own either so we have to put a blanket behind her/in front of her right now. Zo is still deciding if she likes hers. I'm beginning to think it's just change that she doesn't like. Even fun change makes her mad, LOL. I only got her this so she could do something different -- she'll be lucky to get 8 weeks of use out of it given her average wieght gain per month. She's actually sitting in her swing right now (NOT swinging, LOL -- that's just a crazy notion to little girl), and the weight on that is 25lbs as well. Easy come, easy go with the baby equipment. Smile

We are lucky that Zo will start off in her crib at night (it's next to our bed) and get her first 3-4 hours in there, but that's generally about it -- once she's up for that first feeding, she almost always just stays in bed with us. I'm getting better about putting her in her crib again, but, really she sleeps better with a warm body close by. I, however, do not sleep better with her in our bed. But this middle-of-the-night waking is not for forever, and I'm managing, sleep-deprived though I am.

Here she is, just a couple days before turning 3m.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 10:42pm

Aw...Zoe sounds like a sweet baby. No three month check ups here either. Mason will have another at four months. I can't imagine him sleeping through the night. Ha! For some reason mine don't sleep through the night until they are 3 or 4 years old. Even still my four year old gets up at least a couple times a week. We are total suckers! Mason is still in bed with us because he won't sleep anywhere else. Not sure what else to do. He wakes up the moment you put him down and just cries. Not going to happen. None of the other kids were great sleepers, but they did at least sleep in the bassinet some of the time. I don't know. I do know that I don't get enough sleep as it is so whatever works at this point. Mason is a sweet boy though. He was just laying on the floor for a few minutes today just "talking away" then he just started laughing spontaneously. Not sure what he thought was so funny. He will chuckle at us or the kids when we talk to him, but he rarely full out laughs. He also let me put him in his bouncy seat for a few minutes today. Still too small for it though he was looking and grabbing at it and was facinated with the baby einstein sticker on it. It is so fun when they actually do stuff LOL. Anyway, here is a pic of Mason (3 months old today!)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-01-2012 - 1:47pm

Hi Brie - You've gotta do what you've gotta do, right :) I know with my first he never really slept through the night until after 9 months. He would at least wake up once each night to nurse. 

We don't do 3 month checks here, but will see the doctor again December 4th for his 4 month check.

We are getting pictures taken of Josh for his 3 month birthday though!

Photobucket