39 weeks

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-23-2005
39 weeks
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 3:21am

I am 39 weeks with our 5th child and I am dilated 2-3. My dr was going to induce me on Monday July 30 but after the internal exam he has changed his mind and I now have to size greater than due date ultrasound asap. Has anyone else had this experience? A little bit of history. 1st baby delivered 42 weeks 8.3lbs, 2nd 37 weeks 7.1lbs, 3rd 36 weeks 7.9lbs and 4th 36 weeks 5.14lbs. I am RH- and had servere complications with 4th which included placenta abruption and  protein s defeciency. This time no complications and baby has been measuring big 2-3 weeks ahead from 20 week on. At 33 weeks I was told that she was 6.3 pounds. Dr. said head hasn't dropped and I am wondering if this could be because of her size. We already been to triage due to heart rate decells and I've lost the mucus plug. Keep experiencing contractions but nothing in a regualr pattern or that seem to make changes. Just wondering if any other moms are experiencing same issues. I'm so uncomfortable because of her size and I just don't know if I can last much longer. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-12-2010
In reply to: mamastacyers
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 7:56am

I'm not sure I understand the first part here. You were going to be induced, but now you're not? Are you having an ultrasound to measure baby so you can be induced sooner if she's still measuring big? Or are there additional goings-on?

My experience thus far is this. I've been to L&D 3 times now because of goofy BH contractions. The first time I was dehydrated, the second and third time I just had a lot of BH cx and it was only at the first and second visits that they gave me terbutaline to stop the contractions. The third visit we just monitored both of us and didn't take steps to stop the cx. I've been 4cm dilated, 60% effaced, and at -3 station (so baby has not dropped at all), for a few weeks now. I've not had a single real contraction, and I lost my mucus plug many weeks ago. Doc estimated that baby weighed 8lbs at our 36w3d ultrasound and that she was measuring 39w in size (head, abdomen, legs, etc). My induction is set for next Wed, but due to my age and the fact that my term babies tend to weigh almost 9 pounds. Has nothing to do with the ultrasound measurements because we started talking about induction long before I had this last ultrasound. And  I'm not completely sold that she's a big baby.

Ultrasound measurements are notoriously inaccurate, even by a couple pounds either way. Not every time, sure, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day. So, I'd take whatever you find there with a grain of salt. Now, since your baby has been measuring bigger than her gestational age for so long, your doc may very well be right. But, could be that your dates are wrong (which could mean that you're really 41-42w pregnant, who knows), or that maybe you've got more fluid this time around, or the baby's position is affecting the measurent. Or that the doctor isn't doing it quite right. It's not an exact science from what I understand, and it's not always accurate.Could also mean that the doc is right on the money. There's no way to tell until the baby is born.

As far as why she hasn't dropped, that's made me curious as well. I don't think it's size. In fact, it would seem to me that if anything, the opposite would be true. Bigger baby should mean that baby would drop, with gravity and all that. So, I don't think it necessarily anything to do with it. I have read in several different places that it's not uncommon for 2nd+ babies to wait to drop until actual labor begins. I'm hoping that's the case.

I'm with you on being uncomfortable and hope you get the answers you need and can have the birth experience you desire. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8