4 month stats -- update when you're there!

iVillage Member
4 month stats -- update when you're there!
Thu, 12-06-2012 - 11:10pm

So we had our 4m checkup on Monday (at 4m 2d). Fat Baby (yes, we do call her that, but in a sweet voice) weighed 21 pounds and was 26" long, 17" head diameter. Weight is off the charts, but height and head are in the 90 something percentiles, IIRC. Most of her clothes are 12m and fit well, but the new tops I bought her (the un-onesies -- no snaps at the crotch, no crotch at all) are 18m - fitting nicely around her middle but barely long enough to cover that little gut.

She was all kinds of healthy, but we did express a concern with gas. Seriously, Zo is the fartingest baby ever! She does that thing that she did at 2m or so, where she just cries and cries at bedtime - doc thinks maybe it's the gas thing, so we're trying a different formula, gentle or for fussiness, whichever. No real change just yet. We'll see. I will say that her poops are a bit different. Thicker and greener. Whatever that means!

She's not sleeping through the night. In fact, recently she's been up more than usual -- I think last night she was up every 1.5 hours. I'm exhausted, of course, but that's just how it goes sometimes I think. She's in bed with us more often than not. Finally loves her swing, about when she's to grow out of it -- isn't that the way?! Loving solid food when we think to give them to her. Sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, squash. No fruits, but bananas are next. No cereal, ever. Too many calories for an already chubby baby (1/4 cup = 60 calories where 5 oz of formula = 100 calories, so no thanks). She's so into food that we can do a tub (2.5 oz) of it without thinning with formula at all, and she's still hungry for more (though we don't do that). She's just a foodie, right? Smile

Anyhoo. She continues to be the light of our lives. Apart from the few fussy times, she's just a happy baby. Full of smiles and giggles. It is absolutely sick just how much I love this little girl. Smile

That's us. Update us on your LO when you have a chance!

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member

Thanks Brie. Sorry, I didn't see the private message. I got it now. Yes, I think Mason is doing well. I think he will just be on the smaller size. We will have to start trying out the veggies as soon as he feels better. Poor guy has been vomiting the last two days. I think it is a bug and not his shots since he has had diarrhea since before the shots. None of the other kids really got sick before they stopped breastfeeding. We have had a lot more preggo patients at work coming in with the flu and there is a lot of crud in the kids' schools right now so who knows where he got it from. Of course, you worry more when you find out he is trending small and then worry about him getting dehydrated on top of that. He is keeping about half of his feedings down and I guess it is a good sign he is still having a lot of diapers even if they are loose. I am just working on trying to feed him less each feeding and then just feed him more often. So hard to know how much with breasting so I pump too and just give him a few ounces at a time. Always something.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-08-2012 - 7:31am

Ah, I'm jealous about the shot thing. Zo cries from the moment she gets the first one until we make it to the Jeep and she falls alseep. It's truly just the most awful thing ever. Actually, she's crying by the time she sees her doc. She just doesn't like change at all. If we could get the doc to come HERE, we'd be in better shape, LOL. I just don't like having to take her to the doc. She cries without the shots, too. I think I've got a drama queen on my hands. Wink

You know, Zo has been napping during the day a lot more. I think we've got a spurt coming on. But, she's up more than ever during the night. It's about every 1.5 hours now. I'm seriously over this stage of me not getting any sleep.

So glad all is going well with Josh. I hope he starts sleeping better again soon.

Brie
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-08-2012 - 7:23am

I don't know that they're not recommending cereal -- my doc asked if I was giving her any, and we're not going that route (maybe ever in her baby days) simply because cereal has SO many calories. 60 cal per 1/4 cup dry cereal, then add formula to it, and that's just too much for Fat Baby. We'll end up on Dateline or something. Or Biggest Loser: Baby Edition, LOL! Zo already has 4 veggies under her belt and Libby wants to do bananas this weekend. Honestly, I'm not too keen on the fruits either (just calorie-wise, as they're double and even triple some of the veggies), but we'll see how it goes. It's just a crap-shoot, right? I need a crystal ball!

And it's not that I'm overly concerned about where she is now, I just don't feel that we need to add solids that are much higher in calories, when she is thriving now, and liking the veggies.

For your little one, maybe the cereal's texture is what's getting him? I think you could, if you wanted to, see how he does with a veggie. Carrots or sweet potatoes maybe because they're so yummy. Maybe if you do that for a bit, then you can start mixing a bit of cereal in that, and then he'd get used to a different texture and get a few extra calories. Eventually he could be taking straight cereal and BM/formula -- whichever works.

I will tell you that with our first three, we were doing solids before 4m (and did the same with Zo). The only real guideline I follow is waiting several days before introducing something new, just in case there are allergies. The only difference between them and Zo is that we're not on any kind of consistent schedule. She's not had solids in a few days. It's much harder to have a routine now that I'm working. And, working from home -- so I quite often end up futzing around with work stuff even in the evenings. I'm just going to have to figure it out, though.

Anyhoo, sounds like Mason is doing well -- some babies are just little (Libby didn't weigh 20 lbs until she was  a year old, but both Will and Zo hit that at 4m, go figure). And, it seems like his weight/height are proportional. As long as he's happy and healthy, that's all that matters. He's just adorable in that pic. What a cute little guy!

Oh, and I sent you a private message last week I think.

Brie
iVillage Member

Sounds like Josh is doing so well. Once per night sounds like heaven. Hope he gets back on track for you. Maybe he is just going through a growth spurt or something. Shots are so awful. Especially when they are so smiley and happy right before. Mason got a bunch of shots too. Not sure it was a good idea because he seems to have a little bug right now. He has diarrhea and hasn't been eating much yesterday and today. He doesn't have a fever or anything and seems fine otherwise so I guess it is okay.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 6:06pm

Holy Moly! Sounds like she is doing great! We just had Mason's four month (and one week) apt today. He is 13 lbs 10 ounces and 25 inches! He was in the 50% last time and now he is in the 25% now. Not sure if he is just going to be a little smaller like with Isaiah or if we need to pack on the pounds. He eats well, but I felt like my supply was a little low due to working so many days in a row. I have been pumping, but it was dwindling. I tried the fenugreek pills for a few days which definately helped. I also had Dan give him a little formula with each bottle of breastmilk when I worked. We have been doing a little cereal this last week to get him used to eating it, but he is still mostly spitting it out at this point. Are they not recommending cereal anymore? I remember with the other kids, they were supposed to eat cereal from 4-6 months, then slowly get introduced to fruits and veggies, but the doc today just said they are pushing less cereal and now recommending starting veggies already. I am good with this. I just didn't realize things had changes so much. I may keep up with a little cereal just because he is a little smaller, but I am okay with him not getting so much of it. Dan is at the store getting some baby food now. Not much else to report. Mason still wakes a lot at night to eat and hitting all his mile stones so we are happy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 4:30pm

4 Month Stat Update! Josh weighs 18 lbs, 3 oz (92%) and is 27" long (99%). He went from the 74% in length at 2 months to the 99% at 4 months! Huge growth spurt! (For comparison: his big brother Nate's 4 month stats ... 17 lbs and 28" long.)

Josh was very brave with shots... but of course, started crying like crazy when he realized what had just happened. He calmed down quickly.

Really no concerns to discuss at the appointment other than the fact that Josh has not been doing well with sleeping this week. We went from 1 wake up a night... to 2 or 3  :( 

Doctor said we can start giving him some rice cereal, if we like. And should start giving him the baby vitamine with iron since he's exclusively breastfed.

I have him wearing size 6 to 9 month clothing! He's a big boy!

Photobucket