4 year old DD competing for my husband's attention?!

iVillage Member
4 year old DD competing for my husband's attention?!
Sun, 02-26-2012 - 10:37am
So this is not baby related, or maybe my DDs new behavior is due to having another baby. However she's super excited, so I have no idea. I'm really at a loss with what to do. My DD strives for more attention then I feel anyone is capable of giving, but DH and I try our best. We both have a good relationship with my DD, so she's not really picking favorites, but if DH and I are sitting together she has to squeeze in and snuggle with HIM. I wouldn't mind but we literally see each 2-3 days/evenings a week. He works during the day M-Sat. and I go to class in the evenings. So the kids see plenty of us, we just don't get much time together. We don't have money for sitters for a date night and we don't have any free options like family or friends that want to swap turns with us. I don't necessarily want to go on a date anyway. It would just be nice if we could cuddle to watch a movie. Today she came into our bed and squeezed her way in to snuggle with him so I was trying to find something for her to do so I could get a few more minutes with hubs and she would cuddle closer almost like to spite me. She's not an only child either. I'm hormonal and probably handling this all wrong, but I'm starting to feel resentment which can't be good. She is my 4 year old daughter who I love to pieces of course. But I need daddy time too! Any advice would be helpful :) thanks
iVillage Member

I think it's possible to set boundaries and explain it in terms the child understands.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
I also know most kids go through a stage where they are fully obsessed with the parent of the opposite gender. My DS seems to be getting to the end of his where he was only wanting me to do anything for him. There doesn't seem to be a set age for that to happen, so that may be part of what's going on right now as well.
Photobucket