Acne Products?

iVillage Member
Acne Products?
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 8:42am

Hey Ladies! So before my pregnancy I never really had much of a problem with acne. Now that I'm pregnant I'm noticing a lot more oil on my face and have been breaking out on my face and lots of little acne on my chest...very annoying. The list my doctor gave me said that Benzoyl Peroxide is on the safe list....so I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if you found a product that worked well for you?

Thanks in advance for all your advice and I

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 1:27pm

I have heard that salycylic acid is not okay, but benzoyl peroxide is fine.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2012 - 11:02am
My skin is a mess too. Like Brie, proactiv worked for me for years, but i got tired of the autopay and the expense. Maybe I'll try the Acne Free product.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 10:26pm
One thing that's good at drying up the oil is baking soda. I usually have sexcellent skin during pregnancy but I was breaking out big time during the first trimester. I keep a little water-tight jar in my shower and finger out a little (maybe a teaspoon or so) dollop and mix it with just a little water to make it pasty. Rub it on your face (it stays grainy and exfoliates and feels amazing!) and depending on how oily your skin is or how bad the acne is, leave it on for a minute or so. It will dry your skin out pretty easily if you leave it on too long though, so start off with just a few seconds to make sure that doesn't happen. I do this and rinse it off right away because my skin has cleared up so much since starting it. You don't use any other soaps or medications in conjunction with it... just baking soda! Cheap and chemical free :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 1:36pm

With my first pregnancy, beautiful skin,

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 11:04am

Hey KBeth,

I still use my neutrogena face wash with salicylic acid in it, HOWEVER, I am still breaking out big time, too. I never had pimples this bad...well maybe when I was about 13 or 14, so I get your frustration! I am also using Oxy clinical acne clearing treatment (benzoyl peroxide is the active ingredient) about every other night. It seems to work pretty well, I can notice the pimples getting smaller the more I use it. Hope you find something that works for you! I want a pregnancy glow, not pregnancy pimples!!! ;)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 9:51am

I'm not having this issue any more than usual -- I've had acne for forever and have just resigned myself that I always will, but it's not awful. Just breakouts here and there and all I do is wash my face with whatever cleanser I have on hand. I think I'm using something by Biore right now. Now, my teenagers use Acne Free, just like ProActiv I think, but available at the supermarket (we get it at Walmart). It's like a 4 or 5 step thing, and it works when they actually use it. Libby also uses Neutrogena Body Clear for breakouts. Now, I don't know if the Salicylic Acid in the Neutrogena is ok for pregnancy, so I'd check on that, but Acne Free is a Benzoyl Peroxide product.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 9:46am

For me personally, even starting with oily skin, benzoyl peroxide dries my skin out really bad, so I personally don't use it.

Photobucket