Am I being a wimp?

iVillage Member
Am I being a wimp?
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 8:05am

Hey Ladies! So on Feb. 16 my 5th grade class has a ski trip scheduled. I am really not comfortable going down hill skiing with 38 5th graders. First I've only been skiing one time years and years ago so it is not something that I comfortable doing. Also I would be surrounded by many unexperienced skiers. Am I being a wimp for not wanting to go? I mean I'll go but I would be much more comfortable watching students in the lodge. Do you think I have the right to talk to my principal about this or will I sound like a total wimp? Thanks everyone!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 8:23am

Absolutely you have the right and really, the obligation to speak to your principal. If you're inexperienced, you don't really have any business skiing while you're pregnant. Cross country would be one thing (though you can still fall), but downhill? No way.

I'd talk to your OB and get a note, then go to the principal. I'm not sure your OB will want you putting yourself in the position to fall or get landed on by other inexperienced skiers, and will support you NOT skiing for sure.

It's not wimpy at all. It's hard enough to keep the baby safe just by doing what we can do (especially when our center of gravity is shifting). Skiing to me in your situation just seems like a very bad idea.Too much of it will be out of your control.

Good luck!

Brie
#4 EDD 8/5/12

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 11:10am
I don't think you sound like a wimp at all. I think you sound protective of the little bean growing inside of you, and we all know there is absolutely NOTHING odd about that! I would be uncomfortable if I were you, too. I can ski, but who knows how those 5th graders will be going down the slopes. Last time I went skiing, I shared a lift with someone who did not know how to exit the lift and ended up tripping me up and I took a hard hit and then fell. I didn't do anything and I couldn't have stopped it from happening...just one of those things that can happen when you're snow skiing with a bunch of other people. I'd be just like you. You do what your comfort level tells you to do and don't worry about being a "wimp!"
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 1:36pm

I would agree with the others. You are not being a wimp. If you are an inexperienced skier and pregnant, you should not put you and your baby at risk.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 4:47pm
100% agree with the others! Not a wimp at all.....you are being responsible! :-)