Announcing pregnancy?

iVillage Member
Announcing pregnancy?
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 8:07am

When has everyone decided they are going to let the cat out of the bag? And are you doing it in a special way? We are going to be traveling for Christmas visiting DH's family, we are telling them while we are there. I made a "big sister" shirt for Abby to wear as we get off the plane. We are going to tell my family once we return back home around New Years'.

It's starting to really wear on me that I can't tell anyone! I did tell one woman in my clinical group at school, she has been a pseudo mother figure to me for a year. I had

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 5:30am

The only people that know right now are my mother and father in law, DH (2) cousins (Bridget and Katie because we hang out with them every weekend), and a parent of one of my past students.

I want to hold of telling my immediate family until 1) our first sonogram or 2) after the first trimester.

Ideally, I would like to hold off telling my job (school) and class until 16 weeks, but I don't know if I can hold off that long and I am sure I will be in maternity clothes by then.

I am just very cautious since I got pregnant the cycle following a miscarriage.

Amanda

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 5:23am
By the way, we could never keep it secret until 20 weeks. I can't fit my pants already. I was wanting to keep it a secret until Christmas but the rest couldn't wait.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 5:22am
This is #5 for us. We found our Wednesday night. Dh told a friend Thursday morning. He told our younger kids Friday morning. And older kids Friday evening. We told my midwife Friday evening. I had several questions I want to ask. (First homebirth for us.) We have called all the family. They all live 3-4 hours away. Kids have spread the word here (where we live). They can't hold it in. Our 5y told his teacher Friday at school. We had told him to keep it a secret until our older 2 knew. They were sleeping in when the little ones found out.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 7:29pm

I'm not sure, but it won't be too long.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 6:07pm
I am DYING to tell my mom! We are very close and share a lot with each other, so it is killing me not to tell her! Our first dr. appt is on the 22nd, and they said they would be doing an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy, so I'm going to get a copy of the ultrasound and wrap it up with their Christmas gifts (they are coming to my house for Christmas this year). I can't wait to see their faces when they open it!
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2011 - 10:40am
I had to tell my work already and my big mouth has told way more then I planned on telling but we are going to Disneyland right after Christmas and if everything is ok at our u/s on the 15th i will announce it at Disneyland. I want to get a picture of all of us with a character(preferably Mickey but that's pretty impossible) holding a sign saying suprise were expecting or something :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-05-2011 - 10:49pm

This is hard for me! I've actually already told quite a few of my CLOSE friends. I've also told them to keep it to themselves because I'm not widely letting it get out there yet until the end of January.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 9:47pm

I'm not sure when we'll be announcing it yet. With my last pregnancy, I waited until after the anatomy scan at 20 weeks! We'll announce it sooner this time because I have a feeling I will start showing sooner with this little one. I did tell my 5 year old son and he's super excited. We told him not to tell anyone, but within a day he told me he told his ENTIRE class during lunch. :smileysurprised: He told me it was OK to tell them because they were just kids, but he'll be sure not to tell any adults. Lol

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 1:34pm

We are traveling to my in-laws for Christmas.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-03-2011 - 9:40am
It is so hard for me to not tell too!! I did tell my best friend immediately, but that's it so far. We had talked to so much about TTC I had to! I was thinking of telling my family at Christmas, but have no idea how to go about it. With DD I told my mom by bringing her into baby gap and initially pretending to buy something for my niece who was 1.5, then going into the baby section and picking out a neutral newborn outfit. She asked me who it was for and I told her it was for her next grandchild. :) I felt kinda bad because she cried in the middle of baby gap! Haha :) If I'm telling at Christmas I was thinking of doing something as a present....not sure what though. Can't wait to hear ideas!

Jenni