Anyone Co-Sleeping?

iVillage Member
Anyone Co-Sleeping?
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 10:25am

Okay, I'm gonna admit it! And I am not afraid to admit it: Cree still sleeps with Mom and Dad. There, I said it! But let's be honest -- I was not always confident with such a statement.

The park is often a place where moms get together and chat about all things mommy. For example, did you have a natural birth, are you still breastfeeding, what is the best stroller? The list goes on and on. However, when this one question would come up -- "How is he sleeping?" -- I would find myself skipping the part where I would say, "Yeah, he's actually still in bed with momma and dadda."

Tia Mowry Blog on Cosleeping- http://www.ivillage.com/tia-mowry-blog-cosleeping-her-son/1-a-503099

My guys all slept with my husband and I for the first several months.  How about you?  Are you a co-sleeping family?  If so, do you have any plans to stop co-sleeping at a certain age? 

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 12:02pm

Sean still room-shares with us often. We can't bed-share as a family, because my husband sleeps too deeply, so it isn't safe. I bed-shared with Quinn until he was a couple months old, and room-shared until he was around 3-3.5 months old. That was when I discovered he would wake once a night in his own room rather than several times in our room. Sean usually only wakes once a night no matter where he sleeps, but we do often put him their room so they both get used to sharing a room. Also recently they've both had a bit of a cough and the humidifier is in their room and it seems to be helping.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 1:42pm

We are still room-sharing also, probably for another month or so. I sometimes nap with Alby in our bed or on the couch, but not too often because I get really stiff and sore from trying not to move, and I usually wake up panicked that he's smushed his face into my chest, but he hasn't and we're always still in the exact same position. I can usually only doze like that. But he does like to fall asleep with me near him (it's so much faster!), I'll admit I sometimes let him fall alseep in bed with me before I move him to his crib and before I fall asleep too, but I'm trying not to let him get too used to it because we want him to sleep in his crib by himself in his own room soon. He's been extra clingy since getting his first shots though, so we may have to work at it a little longer than we thought.

We definitely don't co-sleep at night because hubby and I both toss and turn a lot through the night (we bump into each other all the time!) so poor Alby would either get wacked and squished, or hubby and I wouldn't sleep for fear of wacking and squishing him :P He sleeps in his travel crib next to me for now!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 4:52pm

Mason still sleeps with us. I wish he would sleep alone, but he just cries and I am a sucker.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 4:21pm

We do not intentionally co-sleep, but sometimes I admit that I will nurse him in bed side lying... and the next thing I know it's an hour or two later and he's still laying there on my boob. Ooops. And then sometimes I'm too lazy to get up and carry him back to his crib. That's about half the time. The other half of the time, he stays in his crib at night except for feedings. 

I wouldn't have a problem with him sleeping with us. I usually do not move a muscle when I know he's in the bed with me... but we both sleep much better when we are both in our individual rooms and beds.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 5:05pm

We also don't necessarily cosleep on purpose -- Zo's crib is next to our bed, so invariably when it's time to eat (which I swear is getting worse rather than better), she just ends up sleeping in between us, usually in the crook of my arm or with my arm around her/over her somehow. I don't sleep soundly this way, but I do love her next to me. Maybe 1/3 of the time I put her back in her crib. But our bed is so tall and the way her crib is I just cannot scootch over and put her in it -- I have to get out of bed with her and it's like calisthenics to do that, and harder with a sleeping baby. Plus I'm just too tired -- easier to feed her and we both fall asleep. It is starting to take it's toll -- hubby loves to spoon and I won't put her on the outside of the bed, so I'm trying harder to put her back in her bed so we can snuggle. I totally can put her on the outside though. We have a CA King, and this bed just goes on for days. LOL. Just makes me nervous, even with the crib right beside me.

As far as when it will end, it will be whenever she's sleeping through the night on a regular basis (if ever!). She'll end up in Libby's room, but Libby does enough helping as it is -- she doesn't need to get up with the baby as well.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 10:15pm

I totally understand the calisthenics of getting out of bed and holding baby at the same time. Ha! I hate those manuevers :P

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2014 - 5:26pm

We used to co-sleep with my LO up to around four months and eventually I just was not getting enough rest and needed to have him sleep in his own crib. The Zippy really really helped my hubby and I to rest, and my son slept on average about two more hours than without his Zippy! Thank goodness for this thing! I highly recommend to all my friends that they try using a  Zipadee-Zip from Sleeping Baby! This swaddle is used specifically to comfort your LO as they sleep. The sleep sack also gives them freedom and mobility but the tautness of the suit makes them feel secure at the same time. Truly incredible, and your child will look so cute in it!