Anyone else considering a home birth?

iVillage Member
Anyone else considering a home birth?
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 10:03pm

Is anyone else condidering having a home birth? We are investigating midwives and the possibility of a home birth. We had always thought this was an option, and then we recently watched the documentary "the Business of Being Born" and it really drove the idea deeper. I really want a natural birth and hospitals seem to rush mothers in and out. My sister-in-law had a lot of issues with her hospital birth which ended in c-section, and that may not have been the case if she had been allowed a totally natural delivery (they gave her pitocin because she wasn't going fast enough for them). Just wondering about your thoughts on this!! :):) Thanks!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 8:11am

We're not considering a home birth because this is our first child and we'll be nervous enough as it is. Also, our insurance won't cover a midwife.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 8:40am

My experience with Pitocin hasn't been really awful. They used it for Libby because she was 8 days late (still managed to make it 9 days late and 21 hours of labor, saints in heaven preserve me). I had it again with Jacob because with all of the complications I was really turning into a basket case and just needed him to be born. So my doc induced me at 38w2d and he was delivered about 8 hours after the pitocin was started. If the doc found it necessary to go that route with this one, I'd do it.

I wouldn't suggest having it just because, of course, but I think everyone has different reactions to it, just like childbirth. I don't think it's necessarily anything to be afraid of, though. Just my 2c.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 8:56am

I think you can find positive and negatives to all ways of birthing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 12:51pm
We're having a homebirth with this baby, our fourth. Our midwife, a CNM, does not take our particular insurance, so we are paying out of pocket.

Our reasons for wanting one are just what you said: we want an intimate, family-oriented, natural birth. My third child was a natural hospital birth (a in-hospital home birth, if you will!) and it was wonderful, but I'm now living 3500 miles from that hospital!

The hospital here is more of an in-and-out baby factory. The chances of my natural birth being "sabotaged" seemed pretty great. I am so at-ease and excited that we can have this opportunity! We interviewed our midwife before committing, and came in with a list of questions. She answered everything honestly and completely, and left us with a comfortable ad trusting feeling. Safety is her number one concern.

The cost covers all prenatal care, labor + delivery, postpartum care, and 4-6 neonatal visits, done in our house.

And the midwives clean up! Ha! They'll even do our laundry and clean the house :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 1:50pm

We would really really like to have a homebirth this time around, but not sure it will happen. There are not a lot of midwives in our area, and the ones that do have offices nearby, well they are REALLY picky about the patients that they accept. One midwife told me that she would in no way have me as a patient because I had a c-section with my first and vaginal delivery was too risky(which is funny because almost every OB I've talked to has said otherwise). A homebirth is pretty much the dream setting for myself and DH, since he hates hospitals in every way and we had such a terrible experience with our first delivery, mainly due to hospital staff and that "factory" feeling. But it seems to be a dream for the distant future for us. Hopefully the choice is much easier for you, just remember to do what feels right.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:27am

We're not doing a homebirth, but I think its totally awesome that you want to!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:22am

Yes, we are set up with a CNM, who will give us the hands-off homebirth we are wanting. Thankfully, our insurance will cover 80% of her costs. My first baby, a girl,

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 12:52pm
Thanks for all of your input!! We've been put on about 8 waiting lists for a midwife so far, with no sign of any becoming available yet. Boo!! But in the meantime we are meeting with a doula, that way whether I'm able to have a home birth or not I'll have someone super supportive the whole time! I'm excited about that!! She reassured me that the doula-doctor combo in a hospital can be a good experience. Keeping fingers crossed!!! :D

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 1:48pm
I loved loved my doula from my first birth, but I'm not sure if she'll be available for this one, she's expecting too :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 4:25am
We are planning our first homebirth. This is baby #5 for us. #1 and #2 were OB births. Never want that experience again. #3 and #4 were midwife/hospital birth. So amazing. This time is a midwife/homebirth. We have known our midwife as a friend for awhile. Dh and I both said before we even started trying we would use her. She is awesome. We will be paying out of pocket. But she is only charging us $2000 which is her family/friend rate. She does the clean-up.

We will have a 2nd midwife who is also a wonderful friend of ours. We feel blessed for them to be apart of our lives.

I'm planning a water birth for the first time. Our midwife has a pool for me to use. We just pay for the liner.

Pages