Anyone else considering a home birth?

iVillage Member
Anyone else considering a home birth?
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 10:03pm

Is anyone else condidering having a home birth? We are investigating midwives and the possibility of a home birth. We had always thought this was an option, and then we recently watched the documentary "the Business of Being Born" and it really drove the idea deeper. I really want a natural birth and hospitals seem to rush mothers in and out. My sister-in-law had a lot of issues with her hospital birth which ended in c-section, and that may not have been the case if she had been allowed a totally natural delivery (they gave her pitocin because she wasn't going fast enough for them). Just wondering about your thoughts on this!! :):) Thanks!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 10:44pm
The dula was TOTALLY worth it. It was honestly like pain free labor. Every contraction I had, she just applied pressure in different places and it was like the pain went away. I felt like like I was going to start vomiting so she applied pressure to a spot on my rist and I instantly felt relief and the vomit feeling went away. It was wonderful!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 5:17pm
Yeah, I passed out repeatedly after having my first from blood loss and I feel (now) that it was also a lack of protien in my system. I don't eat enough protien, which doesn't help me with blood loss, I can't even donate :( I'm considering a doula again, my first one was great, but it was really my husband that was my rock through labor. We shall see, I may have to convince DH if I decide I want another one this time around.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 11:37am
Our midwife brings pitocin with her, so if she were with you at home, and that experience happened, she would have done the same thing, as well as transferred you to the hospital for postpartum hemmorhage. What a scary thing to experience. I passed out from blood loss after my first. I didn't even know; I thought I just went to sleep for a hot minute. Ha. My blood loss was from a third degree tear, bc of hospital interference, and not from hemmorhaging though.

The doula is worth it huh? I've never had one of those...

Pippa - this is our first hb too. My first was an OB induction civilian hospital birth (turns out I'm allergic to pitocin...yay....fun times). The next was an epidural midwife Naval hospital birth, and the last was a natural midwife Naval birth.

Omg - just pulled up through the pickup line, and my daughter is holding her dress in her hands and just wearing the clothes she had on underneath. Lol!

Nikki
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 9:44am
I LOVED having a dula! Best money I ever spent, she was AWESOME! I had two natural births with no dula, and one with a dula, and my oh my! She just took the pain away. She did a lot of accupressure massage and it was a - ma - zing! I loved her! I say, go for that ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-24-2012 - 9:41am
I always wanted to do a homebirth. I've had all three of my girls naturally in hospitals. I personally feel like documentarys like, "The Business of Being Born". have caused hospitals to really adjust the way they treat moms who would like a natural child birth. I strongly considered having a home birth with my third child, I figured the first two went so well that I wasn't at a super high risk. But something changed my mind and I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

I had Lydia in a hospital and everything went beautifully, until right after I delivered her. The doctor couldn't stop the bleeding, my uterus wouldn't clamp down. I literally had the nurse standing on my bed, pushing on my uterus with all her might, it was so scary, the blood just kept going. Then she had to give me three direct shots of pitocen to finally get my uterus to clamp down. I lost a lot of blood and later that day when I got out of bed I fainted. I'm convinced if I hadn't been with the nurses and doctors that I was with in the hospital that I would have died. I was sick for weeks because of the lack of blood.

Not saying this to scare anyone, just telling you from my own personal experience why I was glad I was in a hospital. You just never know what is going to happen, no matter how many wonderful births you've had with no complecations, it only takes once. Just my opinion :-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 4:25am
We are planning our first homebirth. This is baby #5 for us. #1 and #2 were OB births. Never want that experience again. #3 and #4 were midwife/hospital birth. So amazing. This time is a midwife/homebirth. We have known our midwife as a friend for awhile. Dh and I both said before we even started trying we would use her. She is awesome. We will be paying out of pocket. But she is only charging us $2000 which is her family/friend rate. She does the clean-up.

We will have a 2nd midwife who is also a wonderful friend of ours. We feel blessed for them to be apart of our lives.

I'm planning a water birth for the first time. Our midwife has a pool for me to use. We just pay for the liner.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 1:48pm
I loved loved my doula from my first birth, but I'm not sure if she'll be available for this one, she's expecting too :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 12:52pm
Thanks for all of your input!! We've been put on about 8 waiting lists for a midwife so far, with no sign of any becoming available yet. Boo!! But in the meantime we are meeting with a doula, that way whether I'm able to have a home birth or not I'll have someone super supportive the whole time! I'm excited about that!! She reassured me that the doula-doctor combo in a hospital can be a good experience. Keeping fingers crossed!!! :D

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:22am

Yes, we are set up with a CNM, who will give us the hands-off homebirth we are wanting. Thankfully, our insurance will cover 80% of her costs. My first baby, a girl,

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:27am

We're not doing a homebirth, but I think its totally awesome that you want to!

Photobucket

Pages