Baby Blues?

iVillage Member
Baby Blues?
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 4:00pm

I know we all love our new babies like nothing else, but has anyone been feeling some of the Baby Blues?

I had not expected in a million years to feel some of the feelings I've felt since Alby arrived. I love him to bits, he's amazing and a miracle, but sometimes I think "what did I get myself into!" Ha ha. I feel like my first week being SO difficult, having lost so much blood I was so weak, couldn't feed him or cuddle him the way I had invisioned I would, I felt so sick and so tired that I almost wanted nothing to do with him. I don't even know what happened in the first few days with him! I'm affraid this affected my bonding with him and that's why I feel a lot of blues. I think I was thrown so way off by the birth that now I'm just scared and unsure of everything. I'm scared to take him out for a walk because I think he'll start crying and I won't be able to stop him, and have no idea how I'm going to drive him all the way to my parents' place for Thanksgiving (which here is in early Oct) all by myself because Hubby will probaby we working, I'm affraid he'll start crying or get hungry in the back seat and I can't just stop the car. I hate the feeling of not being able to please or comfort him.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel lots of moments of mommy bliss, when he's cuddled up on me or looking at me and cooing, or when he's just sleeping peacefully and I can see he's dreaming about feeding as his lips go "nom nom nom". But I also feel like my life's been turned upside down, which I'm sure is normal for new parents. I also hate telling everyone we're doing fine and great when sometimes I want to scream HELP US! Take him for a while so that I can cuddle with my Hubby like I used to!!

Anyways, I hope I'm not crazy or the only one who's getting a bit blues-y!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 7:52pm

Thanks so much Megan, that makes me feel a lot better! I feel like a terrible person or a terrible mom when those moments hit. I'm glad to know it won't last long, I'm hoping even less than 3 months! I'm thinking if the little dude lets me I might watch a sad movie tonight to get some tears out... maybe I Am Sam, that one ALWAYS gets me going :smileytongue:

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 11:40am

It's definitely comforting to know that others are feeling what I'm feeling, but boy does it suck that we all have to go through these lows! :smileysad: I'm so glad we have these boards, otherwise I'd feel so alone. Hubby tries to understand but I can't bring myself to tell him the whole truth about the extremes of what I feel - Megan you said it, the regret, I feel so ashamed that sometimes I feel that regret that I could never tell him about it. Thank goodness it's only temporary and that in between the fussing or screaming our babies do something extraordinary to remind us why we did this and how much we do love them.