Being sick in the first trimester sucks!!

iVillage Member
Being sick in the first trimester sucks!!
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 6:40pm

So I've had this really bad cold since Saturday.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 8:23pm

I don't think it (having a bad cold) gets any better in any of the trimesters..I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection, the ob nurse said I could take sudafed, so I looked it up online, checked all my symptoms and it said to get the extreme cough & cold. So I called to back the dr to make sure and nope.. just regular sudefed.. I probably would've been feeling a lot better had I been able to take that one.:smileysad:

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 3:47pm

I had the same sort of horrible cold.... awful sore throat that turned into horrendous congestion and cough... which sapped what little energy I had .

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 1:00pm
YAY! I'm glad it's working for you. And yeah. It's just gross. But, so so worth it! I agree -- especially since you're not taking a full amount -- definitely lesser of two evils. :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:47am
Brie! OMG! I finally broke down last night and took a 1/2 tsp of it (the instructions said take 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp) and you aren't kidding! That stuff is the BOMB! I only woke up once and it was pretty much almost morning by that time. The taste is awful and it makes my tongue all tingly, but holy crap. That was amazing. I still feel weird about taking it with a baby in my belly, but I suppose it was the lesser of two evils!

Sarah- I hope you feel better soon!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:10am
I'm in the same exact situation, except I've been dealing with it since before Christmas. It totally stinks!

I'm currently on my third round of antibiotics (still not working) and I've seen an ENT to try to get to the bottom of my sinus/allergy/they don't know what's going on issues.

I also struggle with the medications while pregnant. They prescribed a decongestant nasal spray which is Class C while pregnant. Basically means you can take it, but only if the benefits outweigh the risks. So far I haven't taken it, but I don't know what's worse...that medicine or the toll that this is taking on me (no sleep, lowered immune system, etc) and hence the baby.

I'm glad I've got to vent too!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 7:36am

Almost every cold I've ever had in my life I've ended up with bronchitis -- ever since I was a teenager. I feel for you. It's simply not fun. :(

But, that cough medicine is the bomb. It always knocks me out, so that makes up for the icky taste (I don't prefer it, but maybe you won't hate it). I'd be hesitant to take it, too, being pregnant (it's a narcotic), but, if my OB cleared it, I would if I wasn't getting any rest, for sure. You could always either not take it as frequently as recommended, or take a lower dose and see if it relieves your symptoms. If you're too worried.

Sorry it's turned into this! Hopefully your antibiotic will kick in quickly and you'll be on the mend soon.

Brie
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 6:35pm
Thanks ladies! I finally went to the doctor's today when the mucus started getting yellow. They told me I have bronchitis (boooo) and gave me a medicine in the penicillin family and a cough medicine with an expectorant and hydrocodone in it. I'm kinda nervous to take that last one! Both my OB and my primary dr said it was fine to take, but I feel weird about it! Anyway, they did tell me it would help me sleep which sounds awesome since I haven't really been able to! And of course all this happens on my birthday when we had plans to go out to dinner! Now hubby is picking up dinner and we're going to stay in and watch a movie in bed. Oh well, I'm sure he'll still make it nice :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 8:07am

I definitely agree that you need to eat when the spirit moves you -- even if it's not the healthiest. Need to try to keep up your strength. Sorry you're feeling so poorly. I know that when I catch a cold, pregnant or not, it lingers forever.

Our youngest is battling something right now and Libby's been taking care of him a lot because I don't want to get sick myself. I'm pretty confident it's not strep, as I initially thought, but we're going to the ped today just in case. I think it's probably just a cold, and it's kicking his butt as a cold always does with me. Not fun.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Brie
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 11:27pm
I feel your pain. I was there a couple weeks ago. Horrible head cold with sore throat and generally feeling like death...and having to take care of my sick toddler (we were both sick, daycare provider's son was sick, so DD and I were home together). We both ended up on antibiotics (DD--ear infection, me--sinus infection).

I got sick 2 or 3 times last pg, so I'm just thankful this was the one and only. It was bad enough!!! Hang in there, drink a lot of tea and fluids (I mostly drank herbal tea and fruit juice) and honor your cravings, at least until you feel well enough to try to eat the healthy stuff. You'll have plenty of 2T time to make it up!
pregnancy