Breast health update...

iVillage Member
Breast health update...
Mon, 11-26-2012 - 8:28pm

So I go in tomorrow for an ultrasound guided core needle biopsy. Was able to get my doc to prescribe me a Zanax (one little pill, which she only did because her nurse begged her to for me), so once I sign away all my rights (LOL) at the hospital tomorrow, I'll take it and hopefully they'll give it enough time to kick in before they stick me. I'm really scared about the procedure. I'm such a needle and pain phobe. And, it's my boob, right? Even though they'll numb me, that numbing is going to hurt. I've prayed about it and I know this is just going to be one of those goofy post-partum things, but I should've been praying for bravery all this time because I feel like Piglet at this point. Scared of all the things!

To make matters worse, the nurse told me today (when she called to give me a run-down on what will happen tomorrow) that I cannot pick up Fat Baby for at least 24 hours. And, a co-worker has had this done and told me that I won't be ABLE to pick her up -- it won't be a matter of wanting to or not, I'll just be too sore. How bad is this that I cannot pick up the wee one (ok, she's got to be pushing 21-22 pounds at this point, but the nurse doesn't know that!!).

Anyhoo. I'm nervous. I know it will be ok and that no one dies from this procedure (ok, I don't know that no one dies because I'm afraid to google it, ROFL), but I'm on the verge of flipping out. I wish I could really convey what a wuss I am. Seriously, it's only the Grace of God that I've had 4 children. I'm truly amazed that I did that birthing thing 4 times. Smile

If you wouldn't mind keeping a happy thought for me, I'd really appreciate it. I need all the help I can get here, ladies.

Oh, and by the way. I did create a FB page for us, for this iV transition phase where things are a bit wonky. I'll send out invites, but in the meantime, if you want to PM me to get the invite quicker, feel free. Conversely, you can do a search for August 2012 Acrobats and find us that way. It's just me and the 2 Megans right now. Smile (Forgive me -- there may be more than 2 Megans -- I am so much better with boardie names than real names!)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-20-2012 - 3:38pm

Hi, Yvette. It was just a self-exam that I found it, so had my doc check it out at a checkup (I should have had her check it out sooner - I noticed it not long after we had Zo, but it wasn't until my Mirena insertion that I mentioned it to her), and she was concerned, so she gave me a referral to the hospital's Breast Center -- got in the next day, they did the mammogram which showed nothing, but the ultrasound showed that the tissue looked unlike my other tissue (I have fibrous tissue anyway). The radiologist came in and told me she wanted me to have the biopsy to rule anything out, the doc agreed, and so that was pretty much that. Just took a couple weeks to get it, and then results by the next afternoon. No bloodwork involved.

So, basically I found it first and spoke up.The entire diagnostic process went VERY quickly, as far as these things go.

Mammogram was nothing -- not nearly as painful as I've heard it made out to be (wasn't my first one, but my first one with my implants). It's just challenging holding your breath while they squish you, and uncomfortable positions. No big deal, though. And, very often these things are nothing. Just best to go get it checked out. I was a ball of tears waiting for everything to happen. Any mass is a scary mass until you know for sure what's what. Good luck to you!

Brie
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-09-2012 - 2:43am

May I ask how or what they found in the beginning of your journey?  My gyn just told me yesterday I have a "mass on my left breast at 1200" and immediately sent me for blood work and gave me a prescription for a Diagnostic Mammogram.  ((humph))Thanks!  Yvette

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-09-2012 - 2:43am

May I ask how or what they found in the beginning of your journey?  My gyn just told me yesterday I have a "mass on my left breast at 1200" and immediately sent me for blood work and gave me a prescription for a Diagnostic Mammogram.  ((humph))Thanks!  Yvette

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 10:25pm

Great news!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 7:21pm

Hey Brie,

Haven't been on lately but wanted to say I'm so glad to hear everything went well!  I stress about those types of things too, so I can imagine!

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-02-2012 - 11:31am
Woo hoo!! So glad all is clear!! :)

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 8:41am
Just to update -- results came back on Wednesday, and all is well. I'm not sure what the lump is all about, and didn't even think to ask, but it is benign. I took the bandage off Wednesday morning, and removed the steri-strips last night. You can see the incision pretty well, and I'm bruised nicely (already turning yellow -- but I can hang on to a bruise for a year, no lie), but the pain is gone unless I push on the spot (which I'm disinclined to do, LOL). So thanks for all of the good thoughts -- they worked!! :)

Brie
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 6:11pm

It really stinks not being able to pick her up, but Libby stayed home from class today so she's been doing all the heavy lifting. Smile Tonight will be challenging -- I'm ridiculously sore now, and I don't think I'll sleep too well. But then, I have a baby, so sleep isn't something I get too much of anyway. LOL! But, I'll get to cuddle with Zo, and since that's been sorely lacking today, will be nice. By the time Libby goes to school tomorrow, I'll be able to pick her up again.  Smile

Brie
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 1:21pm

Glad you're ok Brie!! Sending good vibes that the results will be fine!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 12:15pm

I'm glad to hear that all went well, Brie! I know how the anticipation can sometimes be worse than the actual procedure. How is it going not being able to pick up Zoe?

Photobucket

Pages