Buying Things for Baby?

iVillage Member
Buying Things for Baby?
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 9:37am

Sure, having a baby changes things: You survive on less sleep. You never knew you could take so many pictures of a being that does so little. And man, does your wallet take a beating. In fact, one recent study from the U.K. reported that

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 11:36am
I have not bought anything yet. But all I need for this baby is cloth diapers. I'm going to set aside money for the cloth dipes we'll need once baby is bigger, and buy my newborn stash now. Yay for Savin TONS of money on diapers!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 10:16pm

I haven't started yet, but I will for sure need to get a few things before this munchkin makes his/her appearance.

Photobucket
Than
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 1:12pm

Haven't started yet. While I'm not one to think that certain behaviors jinx the pregnancy (telling people before second trimester, waiting to pick out names, buying things, etc), purchasing baby things too early isn't something I've ever done. I want to, but probably won't for a bit. Also, I'd prefer to know the gender -- I don't like the neutral baby items. I really hope we are able to find out!

However, I'm a big fan of Once Upon a Child for clothes, and store brand formula (I will not breastfeed). Our big ticket item will be the carseat (loved Jake's Britax, he went from birth to booster in that one). Possibly the stroller, but haven't given much thought to that one yet.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 11:44am

In august...we did our second IVF...... Another success! And of course..being who I am....and the fact that I SOLD most of the stuff from our IVF #1 Baby because i thought we would NEVER afford another IVF.... I got excited and bought all new Nursery furniture, a travel system, swing...Mattress.... etc. All before my 9th week! LOL. Stupid me. We miscarried just before the 10th week.

To make me feel better and get the stuff AWAY from me.... I sold it all on Craigslist or took it to the Consignment store.

Then my parents stepped up and we did another IVF in December. I am currently 71/2 weeks along. And SWORE...I wouldn't buy anything. Yeah...right. When I go the Baby consignment store...or see something on Craigslist that is

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 4:40pm
I bought one little onesie that is gender neutral, but it more boy than girl, to give to my in-laws when we told them. I will probably start to buy diapers after my next appointment. We really only need to get a new travel system. We will be using all of the furniture that is in my daughters room. I am going to redo her room for her 3rd birthday. All matching furniture and a pretty big girl bed. :-)
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 4:21pm

I'm not buying anything yet. I don't want to jinx it.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 2:18pm
We actually already bought our travel system. Our one from previous kids was expired and the one we want is typically $299.

I used a $5 off every $50 coupon at Babies R Us...taking off $60. I had $15 in R Us Rewards, and used $100 in Christmas money. Making our out of pocket total $135! Not bad for a $300 stroller :)

In preparation for the baby, I'll definitely start buying diapers when I find them on sale and I'll likely have enough bought for the whole first year once the baby comes. And I breastfeed, which saves hundreds right there :)
Photobucket