Christmas Decorating Roll Call

iVillage Member
Christmas Decorating Roll Call
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 4:01pm

So here are a few Christmas decorating questions for you ladies! It's that time of year. I've seen a lot of trees on the roof tops of cars in town!

Does your family decorate for the holidays?

When did you or will you put up the decorations and tree?

Real or fake?

Any favorite or special decoration (maybe something that's been handed down through the generations in your family, for example)?

Will you be change the way or how you decorate now that there's a new baby in the house?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 10:24pm

Does your family decorate for the holidays? Yes! I have way too many decorations!

When did you or will you put up the decorations and tree? We put our tree up this past weekend. The housecleaners will be here tomorrow and after they clean, we will put the rest of the garlands, stockings, and other knick knacks up around the house.

Real or fake? We always did fake.. .but tried a real tree for the first time last year. It was a success! So we bought another real one this year :)

Any favorite or special decoration (maybe something that's been handed down through the generations in your family, for example)? Let me get back to this one :) When I start setting everything out tomorrow... I will remember!

Will you be change the way or how you decorate now that there's a new baby in the house? Not this year... but next, we will have to be more careful as Josh will be nearly a year and a half and that's prime time for trouble!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-29-2012 - 11:57pm

Does your family decorate for the holidays? I used to go ALL out! As many decorations as I could - candles, stockings, garlands etc. Mind you most things I had were pretty cheap since I had collected it through my years away at University when I would decorate my room to feel more like home. But since we moved to our current apartment I haven't decorated as much, just not as many places to put things. In our old apartment we had a fireplace (I MISS IT SO MUCH!) so that was my favourite thing to spruce up! Most of our decorations are boxed up in the basement storage locker, and I just can't be bothered to go dig it out yet. A nice candle and some Christmas music will have to do for now!

When did you or will you put up the decorations and tree? Usually mid-November, but I'm missing that mark this year! Probably closer to early Dec.

Real or fake? I grew up with only real trees, and I really do prefer them - I love going to pick one out, and finding the best position so that their good side faced out (there would always be bald spots or a flat side that we would hide into the corner of the room :P), and the SMELL! Oh I love stepping in from outside and smelling the fresh tree! But sadly I have my own fake-o that I've had for a few years, getting a real tree hasn't been possible while renting, and this year I may have to buy a smaller fake because our current apartment again doesn't have space for my big one!

Any favorite or special decoration (maybe something that's been handed down through the generations in your family, for example)? My favourite decorations are always the stockings. My parents still hang mine and my sister's at home (with our names on them), and I hang mine and hubby's here (OMG I NEED ONE FOR ALBY! Ha ha I just realized that!) which I stitched our initials into. I will do the same for Alby's. They feel so personal and festive!!

Will you be change the way or how you decorate now that there's a new baby in the house? I will probably just put up a small tree and the stockings only, I just don't feel like getting everything else out, I'd rather get some new nicer stuff! Also Alby will be a decoration himself with his 3 pairs of Christmas jammies and a few Christmas sweaters which he will probably wear A LOT throughout December :):) My favourites are the fuzzy ones, he's so warm and cuddly!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 5:19pm

Does your family decorate for the holidays? Yes, with a tree and some things MIL gave us year ago, a few tchotchkes also. We also have a village (4 buildings) but I don't think they're going up this year. I'm too lazy. Stockings, too, when the time comes. I always say that I'm going to get a wreath, but I've yet to do it. Maybe this year.

When did you or will you put up the decorations and tree? Put it up on Black Friday, as per our usual. Decorated on Saturday, and hubs finally put the angel on top today, but Jake hit the tree and made it crooked, and I cannot get it to fit well again. Will try after my boob stops hurting.

Real or fake? Fake. When we lived in Indy, hubs and Libby would always go get the real one right down the street. Then we moved, and fake became our thing. It is easier.

Any favorite or special decoration (maybe something that's been handed down through the generations in your family, for example)? I have two favorite ornaments for when Jake was born. One was made by one of the boardies on the miscarriage board -- it's a ball, lots of different quilting and some cross-stitch. I just love it. The other is from a girlfriend from the July 2000 playgroup, also for his first Christmas. A baby bear in a hammock with a heart hanging down. Love it so much. I also have all the ones I got during iV ornament exchanges from long long ago. And then of course the ones the kids have made through the years. I have a lot of "favorites," LOL.

Will you be change the way or how you decorate now that there's a new baby in the house? Not this year. She's too little. She does like to look at it though. Next year, maybe. We'll just have to see how she is with things she shouldn't be touching. Smile

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 4:29pm

Does your family decorate for the holidays? A little bit, tree, stockings, some garlands and few other things around the house.

When did you or will you put up the decorations and tree? Usually on Black Friday, but I didn't this year. Not sure when we'll get to it, actually still trying to decide where to put the tree Tongue Out

Real or fake? Fake, cheaper and easier. And with cats in the house, less troublesome. And something I just thought of, with Quinn's allergies, I don't want to have to wash off my tree before I bring it in the house.

Any favorite or special decoration (maybe something that's been handed down through the generations in your family, for example)? Not really.

Will you be change the way or how you decorate now that there's a new baby in the house? Nope, didn't with Quinn, won't with Sean. Largely because I try to decorate in a cat-proof way, which also serves as baby-proof Smile

Photobucket