Cleaning Question

iVillage Member
Cleaning Question
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 8:17am

So, among the many other hats I wear, I also clean houses.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 6:39pm

Thanks ladies, I thought I was overreacting.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 11:23am

Well, the March of Dimes site says that chlorine is ok (that's bleach), as is ammonia (but both are so fumey IMO). I wouldn't clean the oven, and I wouldn't be using Liquid Plumr or anything like that. So, anything really corrosive -- those are way bad fumes you should avoid. But, personally I'd opt to wear a mask just because.

I'm bummed about the oven cleaner. Did you know it removes heavy water/calcification in tubs? It does. I'm REALLY bad about cleaning our tub -- it's the only thing I just don't get to regularly and when it gets bad, I use Easy Off on it. I suppose I could have Libby do it. It's about that time.

But yeah, I wouldn't quit. Just keep using the gloves and add a mask and you'll be all set! :)

And, I know you're not going to do this if you're just cleaning inside, but I wanted to add for anyone else reading that weed-killer is a no-no. Studies on Round-up have indicated birth defects from use.The concentration of the chemical that is harmful is far exceeded for safe use in this particular product. I'm staying away from all brands of weed-killer until after the baby arrives. Maybe indefinitely, who knows.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 11:07am

Just IMO...I definitely do not think you need to quit.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 8:36am
I haven't heard anything about cleaning products being dangerous for the baby. If you find any credible information on the subject, please post it!
Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!