Crib came yesterday...

iVillage Member
Crib came yesterday...
Tue, 03-20-2012 - 6:48am

and Jacob and I put it together. It's a lovely crib, and almost matches our dark bedroom furniture exactly (looked lighter in the pic). It was a bit challenging -- whomever printed the instructions (which are on the crib mattress base, so no losing!) did it totally wrong for the very first step and it took us a while to figure out that they meant a different screw, jerks. But, we got it done. It wasn't heavy or anything, so I didn't exert myself. Plus, we put it together right where it would stay, so that helped. And it was really nice having Jacob help me.

ATM I have it as high as it will go, so the mattress is 12" from the top. And, it's only 36" tall -- I don't know if you know how short that is, but it's VERY short! I knew that when I bought it, but I have no sense of measurement, so it kind of surprised me. But I do love it.

Only bad thing I can tell right now is that with it at its highest, I'll need an 18" skirt -- that isn't a common length. So, I'll probably buy some fabric and just make something simple myself until we move it down and can have a regular skirt. Nothing elaborate -- I don't have a sewing machine, but I'm very familiar with stitch witchery. :)

Of course, I don't have any sheets yet. We have our next appt on Thursday and once we get that second confirmation we're truly expecting a girl (which is goofy considering we've got girl clothes coming out the wazoo, LOL), we'll pick something up at the baby store. Still not sure what kind of bedding I want.

So. One thing down, several dozen more to go! Baby steps. LOL. :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 9:46am
Annabelle, we moved when Billy was 6 weeks old, so he has a room here in our new house, but no nursery.

For our second, Jolie, we were in base housing. So again, no nursery.

Maybe I should do something sweetie pie this time...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 9:45am
Good points to think about. I want to head to once upon a child too. Maybe I can keep the Moses basket downstairs, like you suggested, and have a co-sleeper upstairs. Billy is such a tiny guy, and he freaking loves his crib, so I dont know if he's ready to switch yet. Don't know unless we try! 4.0 won't use the crib for awhile though. The babies' room is actually farthest away from ours, and we don't have a rocker/glider in there, so I like baby to sleep with or at least near me for nursing purposes.

Aaaand billy just shut himself in the pantry. Bye!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 9:29am
On the co-sleeping thing, I'm going to use these to create a little place for our LO to stay the first few months (or maybe more, we'll see).

http://www.magicbumpers.com/#Magic%20Bumpers

I used them when I transferred DS to a twin bed for about the first 6 months until he figured out what the edge of the bed is.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 7:46am

I'm so jealous of all you ladies putting together your nurseries.

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 6:29am

LOL -- that's very true!

I think cribs have come a long way in the 12 years since I last had to buy one. This one is so tiny compared to the mammoth ones I had for our first 3. I do love that the sides are all stationary now. Great for safety, but also for assembling a crib. I do believe I cried out of frustration while put Libby's together! (I assemble EVERYTHING, so easy is good!)

Brie
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2012 - 6:25am

Were it me, I'd put Billy in a toddler bed now. Libby was still in the crib when we were pregnant with Will, so we put her in a bed (not toddler, just a twin mattress on the floor) when I started showing I believe -- just so she wouldn't think she was getting kicked out of it because of the baby. Agree also that putting the swing away was a good idea.

Not sure about the moses basket/co-sleeper thing. We did do the co-sleeper thing with Jake, but that was just the over-protective mom in me because the pregnancy was so hard and he had reflux for his first few months and I really just needed him close at all times. We had the convertible crib nestled up to the bed and secured, so he had his own space, was just arms-length from me. We don't have the space to do that now. As it is, the crib is maybe two feet from the foot of our bed, so it's not an issue.

But, I don't know if I'd get rid of the basket...if you have room, maybe put it in the living room? That's my big dilemma. Since I'm working from home, I'll want to have Zoë near me, so I've got to think about where I'll put her and in what. I don't want a pack-n-play necessarily. Or maybe I do. I don't know. I know we'll be getting a swing, but not sure I want her to "live" in it, KWIM?

It's a good time we have some time before babies arrive. I do think I need to take a trip to Once Upon A Child and see what I can see. I don't need new things, for sure. :)

Brie
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 9:33am
I just think its funny how when we see something that is 36" tall we think its short, but when your 2.5 yr old is only 39" they are crazy tall, lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 9:03am
So so exciting!!!!!! I can't decide what I want to do about gettin things ready for Lola/Hank. Should I get billy (my almost 2yo) into a toddler bed? Should I not worry about it bc baby will be in our room for awhile anyway? Do I want to sell my Moses basket and stand and get a co-sleeper?

The most I've done is get the swing put away. Yes, put away. Billy was using the music feature for a bit while his crib cd player was out of batteries. Batteries are now refreshed, rock-a-bye baby cd is back in action, so I didn't want billy being possessive of the swing.

What else should I do?
Photobucket