DH and I agreed on a name without discussing it :D

iVillage Member
DH and I agreed on a name without discussing it :D
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 9:01pm

So a few days ago DH asked me if I had been thinking about names, in particular girl names. I said not really, sometimes I'll hear a name and think, I'd like that one, but I'm not thinking about names until we know the gender. But I had been a little while I was working on my family presentation for Spanish 101, in particular one of my aunts names. So I finally got him to say the name he had thought of, Gwen. It was the same name that I had been thinking I'd like too, lol. It goes well with our last name, so my mom mentioned that we just need to find a middle name. DH said Elizabeth and my first thing was "Oh, your great-grandma" and my mom mentioned that it was my great grandma too :) So after all that we may have a name for a girl, Gwen Elizabeth T. The only thing that worries me is how closely it sounds to our son's name, Quinn. If you say them too fast, they sound a lot alike, but like DH said, oh well if we like the name.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

First, I love the name Gwen. It's my favorite aunt's name. Not common, which makes it all the better IMO. And Elizabeth is a great name, too -- it's Libby's middle name, and how she got the name Libby (which is the name my Aunt Gwen gave her when I was trying to decide what we'd call her since her given name, Mary Elizabeth, is great but probably no one would call her ME but just Mary -- and you cannot swing a dead cat in DH's family without hitting a couple Mary's).

So, I think Gwen Elizabeth rocks!

As far as them sounding similiar, yeah, they do when you say them fast. But, I'm thinking about how when I say our children's names fast (and usually loud, LOL) is when I need them, and I go through at least two names before I hit the right one, so maybe that's not a bad thing. They'll both come running maybe. :) But I agree -- doesn't matter if they're similar. It's what you like and that's all that matters. :)

Congrats on deciding on a girl's name! Do you have a boy's name picked out yet?

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Nope, no boys name picked :) And we learned with our last one to not be hard and firm about what name we want. We had picked Dwayne and he came out looking like a Quinn. Which had been one of our choices prior too settling :) I'll get more serious about names once we know the gender, and even if it is a girl, I just might come up with another one or two that we like.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I love it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2012 - 10:58am
Gwen! I love it, Sara!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Gwen is a great name! I really like it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member