Do you think it would be crazy to travel with baby at 3-4 weeks old?

iVillage Member
Do you think it would be crazy to travel with baby at 3-4 weeks old?
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 1:53pm

We moved to WI from AZ 2.5 years ago and haven't been back to visit family since. We were initially talking about visiting next Christmas, but I was thinking that if we went at the end of Aug. (I am due Aug. 1st), that it would work well because the kids would still be out of school, I would still be on maternity leave, DHs school would still be out, and it might be easier and cheaper to travel in Aug than Dec. Of course, this is all provided everything goes well with the delivery and the baby is healthy. By then it will be three years since we have seen everyone. The kids could see family and the family could meet the new baby. We could get him/her baptized in our old church with family there. It might be a little crazy, but I was also thinking that a newborn is actually probably easier to travel with than an older baby that doesn't want to sit still. What do you all think?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Are you driving or flying? If driving just give yourself plently of time and lots of breaks. We moved when ds was 3 weeks old and then again the next year when ds was 13m and dd was 3 weeks. Both were long distance moves. I think as long as you are feeling good and baby is healthy it will be fine.

Our family is 4.5 hours and we usually travel back within the first month so all the great grandparents can meet baby. Our kids have 9 great grandparents and most can't travel to us.
iVillage Member

Definately flying! I am not much for driving long distances and that would be a very long distance. I appreciate all the input. I think we will see how things are going, but to buy tickets and stuff, you have to plan ahead. It is a big decision because it will be a huge expense. It should be worth it though.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I travelled with my son early on and it is much easier than it is now that he's 2. I say go for it!

Pages