Do you think it would be crazy to travel with baby at 3-4 weeks old?

iVillage Member
Do you think it would be crazy to travel with baby at 3-4 weeks old?
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 1:53pm

We moved to WI from AZ 2.5 years ago and haven't been back to visit family since. We were initially talking about visiting next Christmas, but I was thinking that if we went at the end of Aug. (I am due Aug. 1st), that it would work well because the kids would still be out of school, I would still be on maternity leave, DHs school would still be out, and it might be easier and cheaper to travel in Aug than Dec. Of course, this is all provided everything goes well with the delivery and the baby is healthy. By then it will be three years since we have seen everyone. The kids could see family and the family could meet the new baby. We could get him/her baptized in our old church with family there. It might be a little crazy, but I was also thinking that a newborn is actually probably easier to travel with than an older baby that doesn't want to sit still. What do you all think?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
I've never traveled with one that young, but we took DS on a flight from OH to CA when he was 10 weeks old and it was fine. He basically slept the entire time and I think the plane engine sounded like white noise to him. I also flew by myself with him when he was about 10 months and that was WAY harder because he wouldn't sit still! I think it would probably be easiest while they are still in the sleeping blob stage :)
iVillage Member

I haven't travelled that far with either of my kids when they were that little, but I certainly think that since this isn't your first and you have a decent idea of what to expect with a new born you would be fine!

Photobucket
Than
iVillage Member
So long as you are recovered enough to handle it, I'm with pp that it's much easier to travel when they are at the sleeping most of the time stage, rather than mobile or almost worse wanting to be mobile and not yet. I personally couldn't do it (most likely) because I was not recovered well enough by then.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I didn't even think YOU were supposed to travel that quickly after having a baby! But as long as your doctors say it's ok, I don't see why not.
iVillage Member

I think after 3 weeks, you'll probably be feeling pretty good, assuming an uneventful delivery and no issues with mom or baby.

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Honestly as long as the baby is healthy, I think it would be just fine. But my baby #5 you are probably much more relaxed. I know this will be #4 for us and I will be much more laid back.