Don't know how I'll make it another week....

iVillage Member
Don't know how I'll make it another week....
Fri, 01-06-2012 - 11:12am

Hey Ladies!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
It amazes me that with all this medical technology it is still difficult for a Dr. to say weather you're starting off with a healthy pregnancy or not. I had a lot of bleeding on the 26th of Dec. Bright red, and had me worried sick because I had just started the pill and did not expect to get pregnant. I drank (not heavily but on two occasions had 3 glasses of wine), I was taking diet/detox pills, and doing other fairly unhealthy things for a pregnancy (nothing extreme or crazy like drugs or anything). Enough to make me worry though. Having 2 past miscarriages, I have never had bleeding like this unless I was losing the pregnancy. So I went to the hospital since my OB/GYN was closed and I wanted whatever answers they could give me even though I knew there was not much they could do or even answer probably. Because my cycle has been irregular I had no idea when I conceived and I guessed I was about 6 week pregnant. So the hospital did an u/s and all they found was a sac, no hb, and no yolk or fetal pole. The ER Dr. did and internal and said I was 1 cm and recommended I follow up with my OB/GYN for blood work and another u/s in a week.She told me that there's about a 2% chance I'm still carrying a viable pregnancy/healthy baby. I was so discouraged and upset I just announced to everyone I had miscarried. That was a Monday and on Thursday I went into see my OB expecting to hear that my hcg levels had fallen and due to evidence of a sac Monday and no bleeding since, we'd talk D&C. However, my numbers had doubled!! I went in for an immediate ultrasound and in just a matter of a few days there was now a yolk within the gestational sac. My measurements put me at 4w6d. The experienced high risk Dr. told me that they don't see too many 5 week u/s so its hard to say what a 5 week pregnancy should look like. She said medicine follows and trends and that typically they don't see anything more than what we saw in my ultrasound. She said the amazing thing is, just like in my experience, only a few days makes a huge difference in the development of an embryo at this point. So I go back this Wednesday at 6w5d to see if there's a fetal pole and hb. I've heard that hb may not even be detected until 7+ weeks. So I wouldn't be too discouraged. I understanding how you feel about the waiting game though! This has been the longest 2 weeks! As for my bleeding the Dr. predicts it was the lose of a twin. So I'm praying your time flies and Wed. gets here ASAP and we both have happy endings :) HUGS
iVillage Member
I completely understand!!!! I had an US at 5 weeks 5 days on Wed (due to bleeding) and there was a gestational sac and "maybe" the start of a fetal pole. The midwife said it could be normal development since at times you can't see anything but the sac until after 6 weeks. I go back next week because by 6.5 weeks you should definitely be able to see a heartbeat. So it sounds like your scan could be normal for how far along yOu were. If you aren't having bleeding I'd say try to relax until then. I know how hard that is but unfortunatly there's not much that can be done before then. God luck at next weeks appointment! Hopefully next week brings good news for both our little beans =)

Jenn (28) & DH Zach (28)
Married 9/24/2005

iVillage Member

I don't really have any advice as I've never been through that before. My doctor doesn't do an ultrasound until 19 or 20 weeks (the big one)... so I've never had an ultrasound so early that maybe a fetal pole or sac had not formed yet to worry me (kind of thankful for that). I hope everything is okay.. and it's just that you had the ultrasound way too early to see those things. Keep us updated!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm not a BTDT, but just breathe. You say you are having symptoms- well, symptoms are symptoms! I'm almost 9 weeks and my symptoms are still very mild. I had/have very mild m/s and have never thrown up from it. Mild symptoms are still symptoms, and just as valid as major symptoms :) Everyone's body is different! You may go through your entire pregnancy with very little symptoms- wouldn't that be great? Just take a deep breath! Hugs to you!