GBS question. Questions. Soooo many questions!

iVillage Member
GBS question. Questions. Soooo many questions!
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 10:42pm

Do we have any GBS experts in the house?

So I was GBS positive with my last pregnancy.  I learned that it sometimes doesn't affect the baby, and that it seems to come and go, which explained why I wasn't + with my first pregnancy.

Since I've gotten a positive with a previous pregnancy, would it just be easier to assume I'm positive this time and just get the antibiotics during labor?  I really don't feel like dropping my drawers at my appointment tomorrow, and it will probably be another 7 weeks before I actually give birth (my uterus is comfortable), so to me it seems like it could show up at any time during those 7 weeks after my swab and then put the baby at risk without us knowing, so why bother.

Also, has anyone even had a negative results after a positive result with a different pregnancy?

And last question.  Did the antibiotics have any side effects?  I'm terribly prone to yeast infections if I don't keep things just perfect down there, and any antibiotics I've ever been on triggered me every time.  I do NOT look forward to dealing with that right after giving birth when my nethers are not their happiest as it is.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 6:35am

Typically, if you test positive once, your repeat will be positive. GBS is a natural bacterial flora which colonies ebb and flow so sometimes you have more than others. The theory is that everybody has it to an extent, but some people's "good bacteria" is better at keeping it at bay than others. If you test positive for this pregnancy, you are considered positive for the rest of this pregnancy. If you test negative and don't deliver sooner, you should be retested in 5 weeks. If you feel you should be treated regardless, you should discuss that with your provider. There is a rare circumstance where someone will test negative and baby will be infected at birth. This is very rare though. As far as the antibiotics side effects, you may want to bulk up on yogurt before and after delivery. Typically, the amount of time for the antibiotics is shorter in labor than when you are taking it for a week or so orally, but it can't hurt. It can cause yeast infections or diarrhea so yogurt can help. Most people don't have too much of a problem with this though. As far as the swab, it is relatively non invasive as it just has to pass the outer labia and slightly into the rectum. It is a nuisance, but not too bad.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 8:04am

It seems to me that you could opt to forgo the test and just do the antibiotics based on your past + result. I'd talk this over with the doc.

I've never understood why they test so early since the bacteria can fluctuate in pregnancy, unless they do it simply because a woman can go into labor anytime after 36w. Maybe that's the best time? And maybe because of the turnaround in labs or something? I know it took a week to get my results back.

Good luck in any case and keep us posted.

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 8:18am

I was positive in my last PG at 36.5w (testing should occur between 36-38 weeks for the mosr accurate result), and assume I will be again. I am allergic to penicillin, so they had to do a scratch test to see WHAT antibotic I could be treated with. I ended up being treated with Vancomycin. I am also prone to yeast and PH balance issues in my HOO HOO...she is a tempermental little vagina! LOL

They thing is....My labor was SO fast...I got to the hospital at 8pm..and the antibiotics were ordered, but never arrived until almost 9-9:30 pm. They hung them (IV) and I only got about 25% of them IN before I was pushing! Since I only pushed for 15 minutes and out she flew.....there was a lower chance of it affecting her..because she just wasn't hovering in the birth canal very long!

I DO remember....that once we learned last PG that I was Strep B positive....That we obstained from Sex (penetration) the rest of the PG..because I READ ONLINE (true or not)....That sex and excessive internal exams can "Push" the Strep B up the canal to the baby...so to speak. I was SO depressed.....but seriously..this time..I am EXPECTING to be positive again.

I get tested next week...at 36 weeks. I have already been in the hospital TWICE with Pre-term labor...and was told that IF I went into Labor...despite NOT being tested..they would treat me as if I were and administer IV's during labor/delivery just as they did the previous pregnancy. This time....I'm fine with it. I am not lettng it affect me..because HEY....a LARGE percentage of women are carriers...and it's not so taboo....so to speak.

I will say....I don't appreciate feeling like my Anus is being poked with a qtip! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:36am
I've always been GBS+ but I know some people aren't always + that's why they test every time. I would get tested because if you don't need the antibiotics, you shouldn't be on them. There are always side effects of being on medication, but the risk outweighs the side effects. Tell your doc ahead of time about the yeast infections and they can probably start you off with something to help with that before it even gets out of control.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:44am
I agree with Chelsey, to get tested bc if you don't need the antibiotics, you shouldn't have them. There are natural solutions to help ensure a negative test too.
Photobucket