Gender depression?

iVillage Member
Gender depression?
Tue, 04-10-2012 - 6:58pm

Hey ladies!

So I've been MIA for a while. Between moving and a new job and everything it's been hard to find time to come on to the messageboard. Well on Friday DH and I got the big gender news, and it's another girl! Which was a huge surprise because everybody, including DH and myself, thought it was a boy. While we are both thrilled to be having another girl my emotions seem to say otherwise. I didn't think that I really cared about what we were having, but as soon as they pointed to those three little lines my heart just sank. Once the evening came and DH was at work the tears started flowing and they seem to keep coming. Every time I see little boy clothes or find out someone else is having a boy I lose it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal, will it go away, is it a possible sign that I'll have post partum depression? I feel so ridiculous because I know I should be happy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2012 - 2:16am
I went through a lot of pregnancy losses while TTC my first. While prenant each time I wished and hoped and prayed it was a girl. Then, I had so many dreams of having a girl when I was pregnant with my son that when we saw his very prominent penis, I seriously had a breakdown. I slipped into severe antenatal depression for a long time. It made no since considering I had a healthy baby after all we went through but there it was. Then, when my ex-husband abandoned us in the third trimester and it became increasing apparent that he was going to be an absentee parent, I freaked out a little more. I kept thinking, What the heck do I know about raising boys?! But now I wouldn't trade him for the world :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 11:31am

Yesssssssss, this is so me. With my first I was terrified of having a little girl because I was temporarily living with my mother and was not a fan of her, so I thought if I had a girl then surely she would hate me too. So I cried when I saw her three lines!

Then I was really really hoping for my boy the second time so that we could be done making babies... ANOTHER GIRL! I didn't cry that time at least, but I was really disappointed and almost resented being pregnant with her. I came around after a few days though. And omg, they are so cute together now I don't know that I'd have made either one of them a boy if I could somehow go back and time in pop a penis on them.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-11-2012 - 8:52am

Although we never find out the sex of the baby...this time around this is one of the factors why I don't want to.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-10-2012 - 9:29pm
I get it! I am having baby girl #4!! It will eventually go away but its hard. I think this time I really did think it was going to be a boy cause everything was so different but I didn't want to get my hopes up.