How are our mommies & new babies doing?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
How are our mommies & new babies doing?
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 9:39am

I know there are only a few of us so far, but check in when you have a moment and let us know how you and babe are doing!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:28am
I have got to get on the computer to share a couple pictures with you guys. :smileyhappy:

I'm feeling better and better each day. Much less sore today. Milk came in very quickly, so Johnny is happily nursing away (as we speak!). We should be having another home visit today to check baby and I.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:41am
After reading brie's kickass recap of Zoë so far, I realize I'm sorely lacking in fun details.

So, let's start with poop! Johnny had his first poop in the towel he was wrapped in after birth. My milk came in by 30hrs after birth, so I believe that's helped push the meconium through, and his poop is more or less changed over already. The day he was born, he unleashed all the mec in one change. His legs were pushed back, and we just waited. It was like tarry soft serve :smileywink: A couple BMs later, his poop was already changing over.

He's also started spitting up. He projectile spit up on me yesterday, with so much force and trajectory, I screamed in surprise. He slept through it.

Sleep! He sleeps like a champ, letting us all hold him and pass him around, and usually sleeps through it. We are bed-sharing, and he sleeps so well, tucked into my side. He wakes and squeaks, and I give him my nipple, and he nurses away. We've figured out side-lying nursing already which was adorable. I was trying to help him latch (after our first attempt failed and I sat up and held him) for our second nighttime nursing session, and he scooted himself down, reached his head up and latched. Proud of my little man.

Like Zoë, Johnny is not thrilled with diaper changes, or being dressed or undressed. Once everything is done, he's golden, but the process isn't something he loves.

The kids are so in love with him. Everyone seems to be transitioning really well.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 12:56am

We are good here. Mason just had an apt and he is already up over his birth weight. He was 8 lbs 2 ounces today. He eats like a champ. He pretty much eats and sleeps at this point. He eats every 1-3 hours, but is good at nursing side lying as well which helps tremendously. Dan is a huge help at night too. Unfortunately, I am the one having trouble sleeping at night. Not sure why, but I feel great! I have had to take a Tylenol PM the last few nights just to get to sleep. I was a little worried about it affecting my milk supply, but that is not seeming to be a problem. I have even had to pump about 5 bottles worth the last few days to freeze due to making too much. Not complaining. It was about the same with the other kiddos and it is good for going back to work.

The other kids are so wonderful with him. Katie has been especially enamored. She has been a big help. Hunter brought home a card from his summer school class welcoming baby Mason and some bibs which I thought was really sweet. They all wanted to wear their "I have a new brother" pins from the hospital the first day they went back to summer school and they each took a printed picture of them holding him to show to their class. I know Hunter (who is my worry wart) was concerned about a new baby and the added noise to our household, but now that Mason is here, I think he realizes it is not going to be much of a change. Hunter doesn't do well with a lot of noise and chaos sometimes.

We did manage to get out of the house to get some school clothes and go for walks. I am not too ambitious yet though because I don't want to over do it. Otherwise, not much to report here. I have just been enjoying cuddling with my little man and making up some much needed time with the other kids. I love not having to work or be at school. Studying for boards is the farthest thing from my mind right now and I am loving it at this point. It is silly, but I am already sad that this time is so fleeting and it is likely the last little baby I will ever have.

We will be going back to Arizona in a couple of weeks to visit my and Dan's family which is causing me a little anxiety, but this really is the best time and we haven't seen anyone but my mom in three years so it is much past due. We are going by plane so I am anticipating hateful stares from the other passengers when we board the plane with 5 kids, but we are paying enough so they will have to deal. Plus, my kids are pretty well behaved if I do say so myself.

Glad to hear all the other mommies are doing well out there and can't wait to hear about the new little ones soon to arrive.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Aw, Megan, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I can relate, I'm a total sucker for labor, pregnancy, delivery, the whole deal. My second birth didn't go as I planned it. I got induced and although everything went fine, I still felt like I had done something wrong. Looking back I don't feel that way at all, but in the moment, and for a long while afterward I really regretted the way it all went down. My only advice is to let that go with it was what it was and move forward and work on finding out what you really enjoy about your baby and what you really want to savor and embrace that. I really let my labor experience mess up my whole bonding with my baby, we got off to a terrible start nursing, and she ended up having colic and there was a good 9 months where I was just miserable. Sooooo, my advice is not to let your feelings spiral. There is so much that goes on hormonally after you have a baby that you could really go down hill fast. I hope none of this comes off as harsh, I'm truly speaking from a "I've been there and done everything wrong" sort of attitude. Huggs and enjoy your new sweet heart. ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm so glad you had a good day today. Having a baby is the most emotional experience you will ever have. Take it day by day and don't expect or force yourself to feel any sort of way. Hug your babies every chance you get. When nothing else makes you feel better, a hug from one of them will do the trick ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:50am

Glad you had a good day.  Hopefully that will keep up.  But I think your emotions are reasonable.  I mean of course I wish you didn't have to be going through the sadness, but you have specific reasons for feeling that way.  This will be my last and I plan to get my tubes tied at the same time (since they are going in for a c-section), but to be honest, it's kind of freaking me out.  I mean I feel very confident that this will be our last (for many reasons) and I'm honestly ok w/ that (or so I think!) - but to make it that permanent just freaks me out for some reason.

Anyhow - glad you are talking to us about it b/c I do think it helps to get it out as well.  Keep us posted as the days go by.  I'm hoping your sadness is very short lived and shut out of your mind by joy and love!  ((HUGS))

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sweet pic! She looks so content and happy on the blanket. I'm glad you get to keep her home with you when you go back to work too. The couch sleeping wont last forever (although I know it feels like it will). Keeing getting as much rest as you can. You've got a sweet little bundle!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I agree about talking. I think it helps a TON when you're dealing with some post partum sadness.

Photobucket