Hurray! I think I've figured out what was causing Sean's colic/reflux

iVillage Member
Hurray! I think I've figured out what was causing Sean's colic/reflux
Wed, 08-22-2012 - 7:33pm

So I'd started Sean on Enfamil Newborn because its what the hospital had given me, as well as a sample of Similac. When we got to Similac completely (I gradually switched) is when he started not burping well, being reflux-y and spitting up. So we're back on Enfamil, which sucks because WIC doesn't give Enfamil, they only give Similac, unless you have a doctors note. At least that's what they told me about 3 years ago when I wanted to put Quinn on Enfamil AR (added rice, for reflux). What's bad about that is my WIC cert is tomorrow and Sean's 2wk check is Friday. We'll just have to see how it goes at the way too early hour of 8am.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Quinn was over a month before the reflux showed up (which I'm now debating if maybe it was just the Similac with him too), but he was BF'd the first 2.5 wks and overnight for about another 5 days after I quit BFing during the day. After that my supply tanked, and he was on formula full time.

If you do have to go to cereal, look online to see if the bottle you use offers a Y-cut/tri-cut/cereal nipple. Those type nipples only allow the formula to come out when the baby sucks, but trying to get the thick AR type formula through a regular slow flow is almost impossible. I know that Playtex Vent Aire Wides do, because that is what I use with my Playtex Nurser bottles :smileyhappy:
Photobucket