Is it too early...
Sun, 01-29-2012 - 3:18pm

...to talk pumps? :-)

Photobucket
Than

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:45pm
I rented a hospital grade pump for the first month after DD was born. They are quite fantastic, IMO. We did that while we researched which pump we wanted (I thought I could get by with a crappy Advent one my SIL lent me, but NOOOO). We bought our Pump in Style second hand from Craigslist. It was a whole lot cheaper, and I had already bought the personal tubing and cones to go with the hospital one and the one we rented. I sanitized everything possible, even though it doesn't come in contact with the milk - it just made me feel better. :)

The PIS is great, but I'd say the hospital grade was slightly more efficient at getting the milk flowing. You can definitely buy differen-sized cones - but it's more about nipple size than breast size. If the regular size is choking your nipples, you should move up to the larger size. Or vice versa. My doula even suggested I alternate between the two sizes to minimize the risk of mastitis and nipple sores.

HTH,

Amanda
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:20am
I had no idea insurance would pay for one!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-03-2012 - 11:18am
I had the PIS too and used it for about 6 months with my first two kids and my sister is still using it right now for her baby.

I'm not going back to work after this baby, so I'm debating on getting a new one. Hoping my current PIS will hold out for the few times I'll need to pump.

I did love my PIS. No advice about the FreeStyle...sorry!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 10:12pm

FYI...there is an awesome string on the working & pumping board with lots of who has what for pumps & their thoughts on them:

Photobucket
Than
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 9:42am
The only kind of second hand pump you don't want is a manual one. With those the milk is in contact with places that can not be sanitized.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 9:22am
I will definitely check them out! Thank you!

Photobucket
Than
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 9:01am
Hi Aislinn,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Working & Pumping board here on iVillage. If you are still searching for a few suggestions, that board would be a great place to visit. I'm sure the ladies there would love to hear from you and I know they'd have some great advice to share. Wishing you luck!

Working & Pumping- http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Working-and-Pumping/ct-p/iv-ppworkpump

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 8:49am
I'm a big fan of the Medela pump in style. My sister rented a hospital grade pump for a while, but then ended up borrowing her SIL's Medela for the rest of the time she pumped. She said that the Medela pump in style pump worked just as well as the hospital grade one (which I also think was Medela), and its much easier to carry around. As for the size issue, there are different size "cones" for all pumps so you shouldn't have a problem finding something that fits well. I know there are a lot of people that say not to use second hand pumps, but since the milk never comes in contact with the machine and you can buy brand new tubing packages (I was actually able to get a free tubing package from the lactation consultant last time!) I don't really see a problem with it. HTH!

Photobucket
Than
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 7:54am

I'd also love advice from any BTDT Moms about what brand pump to get. Has anyone ever rented a hospital grade pump? Was it worth it? Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but I have really large breasts (even when I'm not pregnant). Will that effect how things fit? Do you think it is okay to buy a second hand pump? I would obviously sanitize the heck out of it. How long do pumps usually last before they start breaking?

Expecting baby #1 August 8th 2012! It's a girl!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2012 - 9:31pm

I wish that my insurance covered pumps!

Photobucket
Than

Pages