Love Story

iVillage Member
Love Story
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 4:28pm

How did you meet your SO (significant other)?

I'll start.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: p_i_n_k_5
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 4:44pm

Aww, that's such a sweet story! Got your number for life, I love it!

Big K and I met when we worked together at a hotel. I thought he was very snotty (he was higher up on the food chain than I, and he was, LOL). Really goofy, but he went away on vacay and when he came back, I was redhead, and we were in the back hall one day and he told me that he knew what I needed (this is why I think he prefers me red and not my usual blond). LOL. And, I suppose he did, and still does.

So we started dating, got pregnant with Libby, then got pregnant with Will, then got married, then had Jake, then separated, divorced, I got remarried, got divorced, and somehow we ended up back together and here we are. He's not technically my hubby, but we both wear our rings, both are committed, and hey, in Texas, we can be married just by saying we are. Plus, it's just easier calling him my husband. Like I can go through any of that with people. :)

It will be 21 years in July, and that's how we count, not all the times we weren't together (as parents, we have always been in each others lives anyway). We've split up several times. We're very fire & water, but the older we get, the better we get at being a couple. And, I tell you, that divorce did wonders for both of us, really. He's really devoted to us in a way he never was, so while that separation thing was awful (I got both of my degrees as a single mom -- that was hard), I do think it was for the best. :)

Brie
Mom to Libby/17, William/12, and Jacob/8
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 4:57pm
We met in college, I was 18 and he was the 23 yr old tall, blonde, mysterious Navy guy. Instant crush, lol. Then he was young and out drinking, forgot to turn on his headlights leaving a bar and got a DUI (barely over the legal limit). Lost his license over the summer, and since I was his closest friend with nothing to do over the summer, he asked if I could drive him where ever he needed to go. By now we're 19 and 24, lol. After having gone to several family functions (including a wedding!) while not officially dating, we go to a Fourth of July celebration in his home town and that night he asks me out officially, lol. Got married in Aug 2008, after 3 years together, and had Quinn in Sept 2009 :) Going on 7 years now, hasn't all been light and roses, but we're going strong :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 6:14pm
I love these stories!

Sara, we both have military men, and Dept of the Navy at that. Is he still in?

Brie, fantastic! Love the story. Tom and I dont count our years apart either. And now that we're in 30+yrs, we can say we've been in love over half our lives.

Not roses, rainbows and sunshine here either. What kinda fun would that be?? :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 7:17pm
No, he's not in any longer. When we met he was in the reserves and then he got a hernia. He started failing his physical readiness tests because of it. Then an admiral went through the ranks right at the beginning of the recession and discharged something like 22,000 or so sailors for various reasons. His was a medical something or other.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 7:44pm

Mine is so cliche...but I'll share anyway! I was going to college but would always come home to my small town on the weekends to wait tables. We had a mutual friend and he was telling her about how he didn't want to date anyone but would just like to meet a girl that he could take on dates and hang out with but nothing serious. She thought of me, so one night she set it up so both of us would be at the same bar one night. We hung out for a while and then I gave him my phone number and we immediately starting spending lots of time together. We started dating and got engaged in 2008 and married in 2009. Now we will be having our first child :) So we have the typical "met at the bar" story...but I love him so much :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-28-2012 - 9:52pm

I love this topic!

We met in HS, I was a sophomore and he was a Junior. I'm from a small MN town and we don't have a HS so I attended a SD school in my husbands hometown. We knew eachother and hung out with a lot of the same friends but I had been dating a different guy my freshman year.

Anyway, we were at a party and our friend had a hot tub! Well, we ended up spending the entire night in the hot tub together talking and getting to know eachother better! While making out he asked me if I'd be his girlfriend........that was December 1999. We dated for a long time for obvious reason. Got married 2005, welcomed our first daughter Aug. 2006, second daughter March 2009 and here we are again!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-29-2012 - 9:12am

The first time I met DH, I thought he was an immature, loud-mouth idiot!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 8:33am

Sean and I were both in the Army, we met on Valentines day in 2003 because we were both on the same plane...to Iraq!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 11:07am

I met my husband the old fashioned way-the internet, of course :smileyvery-happy:

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-30-2012 - 1:54pm
I love this!!

My husband and I met on the internet in 1996. We were both part of a semi local email / irc system called Tallahassee Freenet. I lived in a little tiny town about 2 hours south of Tallahassee, a senior in high school, and he lived in Tallahassee working for FSU.

We talked for the first time online in early December. There was a party in Tallahassee, and I wasn't allowed to go. So I sat in the chat room giving everyone else directions on how to get there. (sad huh, lol) He stayed in the chat and talked to me for a couple hours before going to the party. He was nice.

A week or so later on December 23rd, I went to Tallahassee to go Christmas shopping. While I was there I went to the local library (where freenet was hosted) and logged on. I pretty much said, I'm here if anyone wants to meet me, this might be your only shot, so come on down. So naive at 18.

Scott was able to get away from work to come say hi. We hit it off from the start. We spent most of the afternoon together. He called me that night to say that he really enjoyed meeting me and we started long distance dating the next day. Every weekend he would come to where I lived and visit. Sometimes my mom and dad would let him stay on the couch, other times he literally slept in his car so he could see me the next day.

He asked me to marry him over the phone on January 7th, and again with a ring on Valentine's Day. We were married March 7th 1998.

I can't say that everything has been super smooth in our marriage, we separated in 2009, but we worked through it all and we had our twins February 18, 2011 and the new boy due August 24th. We couldn't be happier!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Pages